Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent Very sick Cat Dublin 11

Options
  • 06-05-2012 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi guys ,
    I'm hoping someone can help

I stayed in my friends last night an I came home to mycat crying staying in his bed and when he got out he was very wobbly on his feet .

I'm in the Dublin 11 area . I have no money at the min like 5-10 euro and it's a bank holiday weekend .

Can you give me some help an options?

Bluecross type place?
    Vet that's reasonable and would do me a payment plan?
    Anything please guys

thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PeaSoup

Ucd veterinary hospital will have emergency staff on, bring it down and see if they'll discuss payment options. You can get the 46a to the stop on the n11, go in the main entrance and take a right, it's past the car park. If it's an emergency they more than likely won't turn you away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

PeaSoup wrote: »
    Ucd veterinary hospital will have emergency staff on, bring it down and see if they'll discuss payment options. You can get the 46a to the stop on the n11, go in the main entrance and take a right, it's past the car park. If it's an emergency they more than likely won't turn you away.

As far as I know the crowd that run the out of hours clinic at UCD (They have nothing to do with the UCD veterinary hospital staff, they only use their premises to operate out of) require a deposit before they will look at the animal. I'v no experience of them myself but if you do a search a few people here have had to use them and I think it could be something like €200?
    OP have you any family or friends you could borrow money off or a credit card you could use for the time being if you can't find a vet willing to allow you to pay in stages. If he's wobbly on his feet that's not a good sign at all, cats are very good at hiding pain and weakness so when they start showing signs like that it's serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

I would call the vet nearest you an explain you think your cat is very sick and needs urgent attention, but are a bit short of cash at the moment, and would it be possible to pay over a few installments. I'm sure any reputable vet would take your case on, and not let an animal suffer unnecessarily.

Oh and best of luck. Hope kitty gets better soon

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Shao

Hi guys

I brought my cat to an emergency clinic last night , don't know if it's ok to mention names but it has been mentioned here already.

Travelled miles on public transport as I don't have a car and got there , the minute they saw where I was from they were very rude to say the least .

My cat perked up a bit , but I think it was the fear of a strange place and a lady examining him who seemed afraid of cats .

They told me nothing gave him a pain killer and told me to bring him to a vet on Tuesday , cost me 100euro (thanks to a lens o a very very good friends laser info)

anyway I get him home and he was fairly active with the pain relief having kicked in , I fed him and we went to bed being it 1am at this stage.

Anyway I got up early to check on him 6am and he had puked up everything an was curled in a ball in his bed and has basically stayed like that since .

I am horrified at how little was done , I was never told what's wrong what could be wrong just take him to a vet Tuesday.

Cat is worse now if anything at least yesterday he was trying to move around .

I will defo be bringing him to a vet tomorrow and making a omplaint about the other place , disgraceful carry on

Thanks for all the replies guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Sorry to hear about your cat, hopefully he'll make a good recovery, however, can you make contact with The Blue Cross as they generally are great at helping out those in need and offer veterinary care at very reduced costs.
    And yes, I would certainly make a complaint about the other crowd, it may not come to much if you contact them directly, but you could contact The Veterinary Council of Ireland.
    Hope your cat makes a full recovery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

If I'm correct at guessing which emergency clinic you went to then I'm afraid you're not alone. I've heard so many complaints about them on here and that they always seem to be so rude to owners :( Definitely make a complaint, you are paying for a service after all and veterinary is just as much about looking after an owner as it is the animal!

The Blue Cross on the other hand have a fantastic reputation. They seem to genuinely care about the animals and do their utmost to give them 1st class care and treatment at a price that is affordable to you! I really hope your cat makes a full and speedy recovery ... and please let us know how she gets on!

The Blue Cross Website - http://www.bluecross.ie/

Thanks a million Amberjack for the info!
    I was planning to bring him to the bluecross hospital in inchincore tomorrow, I think you need an appointment though, and I don't see them being there today to call but I'm going to give them a try when I get sent on some credit..

I will definitely be contacting that place you mentioned to make a complaint.

I'll let you all know how I get on

Thanks again

ashlingm wrote: »
    If I'm correct at guessing which emergency clinic you went to then I'm afraid you're not alone. I've heard so many complaints about them on here and that they always seem to be so rude to owners :( Definitely make a complaint, you are paying for a service after all and veterinary is just as much about looking after an owner as it is the animal!

The Blue Cross on the other hand have a fantastic reputation. They seem to genuinely care about the animals and do their utmost to give them 1st class care and treatment at a price that is affordable to you! I really hope your cat makes a full and speedy recovery ... and please let us know how she gets on!

The Blue Cross Website - http://www.bluecross.ie/

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone , but I'm also a little disappointed that people who care enough to pay extortionate amounts to get there pets emergency care are treated so poorly , and in an already stressful time , I kind of thought I was imagining it but it became apparent very quickly they did not care for my animal or myself only how I'd be paying and getting me off to another vet to actually check my cat out and know what's wrong.

Anyway I could rant on , but I'll leave it there and make a complaint and get my cat an appointment with the bluecross hospital , or bring him to tomorrows mobile clinic if I can't get an appointment.
    It's unfortunate that it happened on a bank hol weekend or I could have him somewhere today.

Keep you guys posted :)

Just wondering how your cat is now, hope it was a good outcome?

• Advertisement

Hi guys , sorry have been so busy ! Thankfully he's doing much better now , brought him
    to the Bluecross , they were so polite and helpful .
    He has pulled muscle and a bad sprain in his back leg and it has to be wrapped 8hours a day for a week , great fun wrapping up a cats leg ;)
    he also had an allergic reaction to the pain relief the emergency clinic had given him :(

he's eating and drinking loads which is great , after his appetite was gone after Sundays visit.
    So I just have to keep an good eye and wrap the leg , give him some pain relief .

So hopefully he'll be back in full form after the weekend.

thank you guys

Ah great news, delighted The Blue Cross sorted you out and he's on the mend. Re the emergency clinic, I'd still write that letter!
    Anyway, good luck with his recovery and thanks for updating us.
    A :)

Advertisement