Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Airport Car parking charges

Options
  • 05-05-2012 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭

Hope the mods don't mind me posting about Derry airport in the Donegal thread, but many people from Donegal have flown from Derry airport, including myself.

I'm flying away with my wife to Glasgow for 2 days at the end of May, flights all booked, but went onto the airports website to book car park and was real shocked at the price, it works out at 34 pounds and that's at their reduced price! we will be coming back home a few hours later than the time we leave to go to Glasgow so that makes it go into 3rd day and they charge 3 full days for that.

The prices charged at many other airports like Belfast, Dublin are no where near as expensive, it seems like they are really ripping people off at Derry airport.
    Have to wonder are they really trying to put people off flying from Derry?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I was going to suggest getting the airporter bus, but when looking at their site they are £15 return PP from Derry - the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭overshoot

thats pretty expensive alright, i guess though it doesnt have any competition. pretty sure belfast has rival parking companies and maybe dublin... but dublin also has competition from Bus Eireann running to every part of the country.
    so its an advantage of being small, -no competition would be viable, and the only thing in the area, its going to cost you the 20e you save in petrol/diesel and more to go to Dub or belfast (if you tailgate a truck the whole way you may have a chance of saving it;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I was going to suggest getting the airporter bus, but when looking at their site they are £15 return PP from Derry - the airport.

Yea and would still have to get bus to derry.
    Just bit shocked at the price, not far off the cost of what the plane tickets were!
    Will just have to pay the charges for the parking, it actually costs 40 pounds if you don't pre-book online first.

overshoot wrote: »
    thats pretty expensive alright, i guess though it doesnt have any competition. pretty sure belfast has rival parking companies and maybe dublin... but dublin also has competition from Bus Eireann running to every part of the country.
    so its an advantage of being small, -no competition would be viable, and the only thing in the area, its going to cost you the 20e you save in petrol/diesel and more to go to Dub or belfast (if you tailgate a truck the whole way you may have a chance of saving it;))

Yea good point about the competition or lack of it, would probably be main reason for high prices. Pretty sure they have gone up a good bit since last year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Yea good point about the competition or lack of it, would probably be main reason for high prices. Pretty sure they have gone up a good bit since last year though.

They must have increased the charge. It was always reasonable for parking at Derry airport. As far as I remember I paid £20 for 4 days the last time I parked there for a length of time, January 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,101 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There's a business opportunity for someone near the airport with a bit of land to store cars cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,833 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I booked a flight a few days ago for a neighbour and he was using the car park also. The "20% special discount" charge for 10 days parking came to £68 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

NIMAN wrote: »
    There's a business opportunity for someone near the airport with a bit of land to store cars cheaply.

But there is already http://www.bobseasypark.co.uk/ , used it during the week and it was perfect.

slimboyfat wrote: »
    But there is already http://www.bobseasypark.co.uk/ , used it during the week and it was perfect.

Just had a look at there site, looks like a great offer, going by the rates they have advertised I will save myself £23.50 by going with them :), I wonder how often there shuttle bus runs?

Might email them to get more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

we will be coming back home a few hours later than the time we leave to go to Glasgow so that makes it go into 3rd day and they charge 3 full days for that.

It was the same when they had flights to Dublin. Flying down one evening and back the next meant you were parked for about 24 and a half hours, max 25, and they charged for two full days.

• Advertisement

Fair play to Bob Mullan, seems a savvy businessman and spotted a few bob to be made (pardon the pun).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭overshoot

never even knew it was there, was kinda assuming there wasnt room for competition and only ever done pick ups from it myself. could do with a bit more advertisment it seems, "derry airport parking" doesnt bring up anything on google, even editing some of the home page tags should get it there. ah well good to know!
    looking at the homepage its all images, google needs text to read off for its searches to the best of my knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Good to know that. I parked at the airport a couple of weeks ago and was disgusted at their rip-off parking charges.

Didn't ever hear of it, and agree thats its poorly advertised, but he does have it splashed over his Motors website

http://www.bobmullanmotors.com/

Perhaps he should put it in local papers etc, as no-one I asked knew about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Didn't ever hear of it, and agree thats its poorly advertised, but he does have it splashed over his Motors website

Perhaps he should put it in local papers etc, as no-one I asked knew about it either.

Was chatting to them about that, they say they have only being going for a few weeks and only starting to find their feet, they mention that they were on page 15 on google to strat but are up to page 4 or 5 now, something they are working on.

When we dropped off and picked up the car there was a few others that were using it, so the word must be out already, these things take time.

Hope it goes well for them, they gain business and othesr like the taxis, airpoter and espically derry city conucil who own the airport, loose out for being far too greedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Hope it goes well for them, they gain business and othesr like the taxis, airpoter and espically derry city conucil who own the airport, loose out for being far too greedy.

I agree and I have been spreading the word to anybody I know who uses the airport. All are delighted to hear there is an alternative.
    If he does well the airport will be forced to reduce their charges and everybody will benefit.

they mention that they were on page 15 on google to strat but are up to page 4 or 5 now, something they are working on.
    This thread will help with their ranking on Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

To be fair to them, Airporter is £8 return not £15

http://www.airporter.co.uk/fares.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Where To wrote: »
    To be fair to them, Airporter is £8 return not £15

http://www.airporter.co.uk/fares.html

Sorry, duno where I got £15 out of!

Sorry, duno where I got £15 out of!

You're just a generous tipper :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

It's in the Letterkenny Post this week. Someone's been reading Boards.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Thanks for this! I'm flying to London tomorrow from Derry and was expected to pay £50 in car parking fees til Monday.

Haven't made a reservation and I'm aiming to be in Derry for 7.30am. I hope that they're open at that time :(

Advertisement