Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Applying to DKIT following a FETAC level 5 course in Cavan Institute. Please help!!

Options
  • 05-05-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi

I got 245 points in my leaving cert exam. I have a few learning disabilties (dyslexia & dyspraxia) and so I get more points through the DARE scheme on the CAO.

I spent the last year doing a cultural and heritage studies FETAC level 5 course in which I got 3 destinctions and 5 passes.

I know that a destinction counts as 50 leaving cert points, a merit is 35 and a pass is 20.

when I add the 3 destinctions (150 points) to the 5 passes (100) I have 250 points.

the course I hope to do requires 300 points.

My question is does this 250 points get added onto my 245 points from the leaving cert?

If not will I get enough points from the DARE scheme to get accepted into the course?

the course is a BA (honours) humanities in cultural studies.

Please help if you know the answer because it is very important that I find out within the next few days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

conorcavan wrote: »
    Hi

I got 245 points in my leaving cert exam. I have a few learning disabilties (dyslexia & dyspraxia) and so I get more points through the DARE scheme on the CAO.

I spent the last year doing a cultural and heritage studies FETAC level 5 course in which I got 3 destinctions and 5 passes.

I know that a destinction counts as 50 leaving cert points, a merit is 35 and a pass is 20.

when I add the 3 destinctions (150 points) to the 5 passes (100) I have 250 points.

the course I hope to do requires 300 points.

My question is does this 250 points get added onto my 245 points from the leaving cert?

If not will I get enough points from the DARE scheme to get accepted into the course?

the course is a BA (honours) humanities in cultural studies.

Please help if you know the answer because it is very important that I find out within the next few days.
    The points from the fetac won't get added to the leaving cert. Best try the dare option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mbowe

Hi your points are not combined with leaving cert points. Whichever is the higher would usually be taken.

DkIT doesn't take part in the dare scheme so your points would stand as they are.

Late applications to CAO deadline were May 1st so it's now too late to apply for next September.

DkIT have a CAO info evening coming up 28th of May 6pm-8pm in the Nursing Building. There will be staff there that can offer you advice on possible entry routes that may be open to you.

Also maybe follow this link to page 54

https://ww2.dkit.ie/about_dkit/documents_and_policies/college_publications/undergraduate_prospectus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I'm a former FETAC student at Cavan Institute myself, although I am now at NUIG I did have numerous DKIT courses down on my CAO as well. You cannot combine your LC and FETAC points, but one thing that may go in your favour with regards the DARE system is that the majority of the courses in DKIT which accepts FETAC applicants through the CAO only groups FETAC students against other FETAC students, meaning there's a good chance you won't have to compete with LC students for a places, just other PLC students. Most IT college courses accept a maximum of 5 FETAC students, it of course depends on the course.

Advertisement