Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cannot delete files, source path to long

Options
  • 04-05-2012 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hello

cannot delete files, source path to long.. see attached pic, what's that about, how can I delete these multiple desktop folders?

203548.png

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Are you trying to move them to the Recycle Bin or delete them directly (by pressing Shift+Del)?

Also, not that it's terribly relevant or anything, but what on earth happened there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Are you trying to move them to the Recycle Bin or delete them directly (by pressing Shift+Del)?

Also, not that it's terribly relevant or anything, but what on earth happened there?

I have no idea what happened, it's not my computer but a family members, and I used TeamViewer to log in.

you cannot delete the files any way, you cannot move them, or rename them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

command line

cd into one of the folders

rmdir /s folder

be very careful that you are in the right plase

del /S /Q
    may be needed - again be very aware that you are in the right place first

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

command line

cd into one of the folders

rmdir /s folder

be very careful that you are in the right plase

del /S /Q
    may be needed - again be very aware that you are in the right place first

This ..... or get <snip> Boot CD

• Registered Users Posts: 31 SavageHenry

you could just rename them until you are below the 255 character max. ie rename desktop to "d". totally depends on how many folders have been created though.

****edit*****

Sorry I just read that you cannot rename!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,438 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Can't you delete them in smaller groups, starting at the 'end' and working back down the tree, or does that give the same error?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Also a known workaround is to to map the folder a couple of levels up and delete the contents.. then you should have a folder level that is possible to delete

eg

Map the middle level folder as z:\ and then delete its contents. Unmap the drive and then delete the folders that are left..

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081

Alun wrote: »
    Can't you delete them in smaller groups, starting at the 'end' and working back down the tree, or does that give the same error?

it gives the same error no matter what I do

Ginger wrote: »
    Also a known workaround is to to map the folder a couple of levels up and delete the contents.. then you should have a folder level that is possible to delete

eg

Map the middle level folder as z:\ and then delete its contents. Unmap the drive and then delete the folders that are left..

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081

thanks for the advice.. I tried this method and still cannot delete the pesky folders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

When you are sharing check the permissions on teh share to see if you have full control otherwise it wont work..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

You could try this it might work. Go to start/ Run, type cmd to open a command prompt.
    Then type net user administrator /active:yes and hit enter
    What this does is activates the administrator account. then switch accounts and try to delete the files.
    I used this to install Google Earth which wouldn't install for me so it might work.
    If it works log back into your regular account and, for security purposes, disable the administrator account using:
    net user administrator /active:no

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Try this:
    In Windows Explorer, with a tree view of folders, expand this hierarchy of folders down to about halfway down, then drag the remaining folders onto C:\ (assuming its on C:\)

Now try and delete, the path should be shorter now.

Advertisement