Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Bank of Ireland Safe Saving Box

Options
  • 04-05-2012 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Just got this 1952 Royal Bank of Ireland Safe Saving Box/Book off my granny, looks pretty interesting so I thought I would stick it up for the sake of nostalgia.

Didn't come with a Key as the bank held onto those, so I am now wondering if there will be any chance at all of finding a key for it.

I already brought it down to the local AIB on the off chance of them still having a key and they tried sending me to the Bank of Ireland :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You'd need to study the night safe in some of the older AIB branches in Dublin, then you might find one that says 'Royal Bank of Ireland'.

There's no point in going to just any old AIB as a lot of them were Munster & Leinster or Provincial branches and they wouldn't be able to help either.

I grew up in a town that didn't have a branch of the Royal Bank but I recognise that money box so either the National or Bank of Ireland must have used the same hardware though I'd say the key was different.

Can't see it being worth much as a collector's item. As you can see they are fairly robust so there's probably a lot of them still about.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Funny enough I think I might have a key for that. There's a few different makers of those boxes and I have keys for some. The good news is that the one key usually works on all of them of the same make so it doesn't have to be a key specifically from the Royal Bank of Ireland. It's just down to the make, can you tell what other writing is on the brass part, if any? Wouldn't be a Pearson Page-Jewsbury or Peerage by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

Cheers for the replies!

Might try the bank on Dame St, despite formally being Royal Bank of Ireland the local AIB wasn't of much help, they did offer to give me a new piggy bank though. :pac:

There are no makers marks, at least not on the exterior anyway. The only markings are the "B" serial number, "For Notes", and the "Made in England" stamps.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I have one here from the Royal Bank of Ireland Limited with a key, the cover is identical to yours but the brass part appears to be from a different maker, mine's a 'Pearson Page'.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 spontits

Hi,

Sorry to post on such an old thread. Just wondering if you had any luck getting your money box openEd? If so how?just short of gething the hammer at mine
    Jagdtiger wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies!

Might try the bank on Dame St, despite formally being Royal Bank of Ireland the local AIB wasn't of much help, they did offer to give me a new piggy bank though. :pac:

There are no makers marks, at least not on the exterior anyway. The only markings are the "B" serial number, "For Notes", and the "Made in England" stamps.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is surely pickable? I'd bring it to the www.tog.ie guys and gals on their next lock picking night and let them at it... its the sort of thing they would love! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 billymc1

you can get one on ebay about £4 and its £7 postage or I looked on google and gane one my self its a bit rough but works fine !

Advertisement