Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying 2nd hand aeg's

Options
  • 04-05-2012 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Hi, i was going to buy a cheap spring rifle for shooting targets at home, ive always wanted to buy a pellet gun to do this but its too much hassle. So i started reading buying guides as i wanted the most accurate one possible on a budget but started seeing how airsoft looks like a lot of fun. So i recon i might as well buy an aeg,i went to the shop in Bray last week as you can shoot them there to see which would be best but their range was closed. From what they had in the display i would prefer an m4 to a g36, there seems to be a lot of m4 carbines about so id say its a good way to go. Im a little confused now though, id prefer to pay about 140-160 euro and get one 2nd hand but at the same time i get the impression that aeg's break a lot so i dont want to buy a pos. Just wondering would people recommenced buying new. The shop in bray has a couple ex demo ones for about 200, they are feel a bit rickety though, maybe the guns are generally like this? So in a nutshell advice on how much to spend getting a decent reliable gun 2nd hand and also 2nd hand or new in general.

regards,

Rowan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

Cheap bb guns are cheap cos their made of ****e :/ if you want a good piece of kit at a nice price that you just want to use for target shooting then I would get a springer snipper rifle

You would be searching for a while to get a good aeg second hand for 200

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

There are plenty of good aegs below 200 second hand, you just need to pick one based on brand and guess how badly or otherwise it has been treated. Most aegs can be easily repaired as long as the externals are fine, the internals are cheap and common to most models.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭mememo

I would recomend going with a GandG aeg new if your just starting out second hand aegs can be hit and miss since you dont really know what your getting unless you open it up for a good look and really know what your doing . Something like this one would be a good started aeg http://airsoftguns.ie/gg-armament/1062-gg-cm16-carbine-bundle-package-airsoft-aeg.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

mememo wrote: »
    I would recomend going with a GandG aeg new if your just starting out second hand aegs can be hit and miss since you dont really know what your getting unless you open it up for a good look and really know what your doing . Something like this one would be a good started aeg http://airsoftguns.ie/gg-armament/1062-gg-cm16-carbine-bundle-package-airsoft-aeg.html

thats if he wanted to play but hes on about target practice out the back

Also these ARE NOT Pelet guns these are airsoft devices and they use 6mm plastic BB's(Ball Bearings) Pelet guns and air rifle are actually classed as firearms :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Jsmurff wrote: »
    they use 6mm plastic BB's(Ball Bearings)
    "BB" doesn't refer to ball bearings, it is a calibre of pellet. I believe it comes from a type of birdshot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

moved to questions

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Thanks for the replies though everyone seems to be saying something different. I would like a gun i can use for playing airsoft. An m4 aeg i think, i guess a new one might be the way to go, though i generally prefer buying things second hand, i like a good bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

There are plenty of good quality 2nd hand AEGs for sale and most sellers are genuine.

But like anything mechanical, parts wear and eventually break/fail.
    As has been mentioned already parts are readily available and don't cost a fortune.

Most M4's are Version 2 gearboxes and these are the most common gearboxes, making it easier to get spare parts.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭estfront

rowanh wrote: »
    Hi, i was going to buy a cheap spring rifle for shooting targets at home, ive always wanted to buy a pellet gun to do this but its too much hassle. So i started reading buying guides as i wanted the most accurate one possible on a budget but started seeing how airsoft looks like a lot of fun. So i recon i might as well buy an aeg,i went to the shop in Bray last week as you can shoot them there to see which would be best but their range was closed. From what they had in the display i would prefer an m4 to a g36, there seems to be a lot of m4 carbines about so id say its a good way to go. Im a little confused now though, id prefer to pay about 140-160 euro and get one 2nd hand but at the same time i get the impression that aeg's break a lot so i dont want to buy a pos. Just wondering would people recommenced buying new. The shop in bray has a couple ex demo ones for about 200, they are feel a bit rickety though, maybe the guns are generally like this? So in a nutshell advice on how much to spend getting a decent reliable gun 2nd hand and also 2nd hand or new in general.

regards,

Rowan

I would not touch a ex demo model from a shop, every fool, muppet, child and moron has held it, dropped it, dry fired it and put 1000's of bbs through it!!! An airsoft AEG should not feel "rickety" certainly not one for 200 euro!!
    Second hand is the way to go we all like a bargain but beware what your buying!! I have got Some great deals here but I have viewed, tested and passed on many more pieces of crap. Beware the "easy fix" poster, if it was easy they would have done it themselves before selling. Check a sellers history often you'll find their info scarce in their post but look up their history and you'll see that they are not the first owner, the AEG has problems that they posted questions about or they have sold crap before. Also the traders If a guy has been trying to trade his Aeg for 6 months or more on every thread he can, then this is another one to pass If it was any good some else would have snapped it up already. And finally the massively upgraded AEG for stupid money. They can list a dozen aftermarket parts 100's of euro worth all internal, unless you know what your doing and actually disassemble and check how can you know whats inside?? I've seen supposedly upgraded AEGs with bog standard internals either the guy was trying to fool me or more likely he was fooled himself. Now saying that there are a lot of honest posters that I've delt with just try avoid the head gasket mechanic types;)
    Wall hangers are the best if you can find them. These are guys that buy airsoft just to put them up on the wall and maybe now and again plink in the back yard. these AEGs are practly new no wear and tear on the motor or internals. On the other end of the scale you have guys selling AEGs that have been skirmished every weekend for years they are used up, hop up rubbers worn out, motor abused, gearbox internals worn down and not doing their job properly any more yet you'll find that these aeg owners are asking the same price or only slightly less than the wall hanger.
    Parts are relatively cheap but they add up and nothing is cheap in Ireland. If you can do the repair or upgrade yourself then you'll save the cost of the techie but if you have to find and pay one to find and fix the problem then you might as well buy new. I never buy new unless its something unique or hard to get. Raiders are not, I find the Irish retailers very expensive second hand is the way to go if you know what your doing or the seller is reliable. 150 to 190 is a good range for a decent second hand dboys, cyma, Clone Aeg don't be expecting a G&P or a High end G&G for that money. Raiders are popular so are a bit on the higher end of this scale. Its worth paying the extra for a good wall hanger than saving 20 or 30 quid on a used up skirmished aeg which will cost you more in heart break and money in the long run. as in all things you get what you pay for!! Hope you find what your looking for and above all check the sellers history.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Thanks, thats some good advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

just to have a different view on the ex model buying comment.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that, everything in your head is telling you not too but as far as I'm aware my F2000 is an ex display model, now I could be wrong but I remember Kev saying it was never touched as it always hung up high on the shelves. The reason it was used a display model was because there was something wrong it the trigger, which they then fixed for me before i brought it home. I haven't had a single problem with it. Now obviously i can see where the comment came from as I wouldn't usually do it either but it's just something to keep in mind, and like already mentioned some lads on Boards sell some very high end well looked after gear for a pretty reasonable price as they're just looking to give it a better home.

Advertisement