Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single major in Philosophy

Options
  • 04-05-2012 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows how the department of Philosophy selects the applications for continuing on just doing the single major?

I presume it's based on results from the Philosophy modules in first year, but do they take overall results in to account at all? Just slightly concerned as I'm fairly confident I've done reasonably well in my Philosophy modules.. but just about scraping passes in the other modules.

Anyone have any idea? Is there usually a high demand/limited spaces for doing the single major, like there usually is for the Psychology minor?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Scatterbrain

There's nowhere near as great a demand for single major Philosophy as there is for Psychology, and I'm sure the Philosophy department would be eager to encourage anyone with an interest to follow up on it. Given that you've done well in your first year modules, I reckon they'll welcome you with open arms, so don't worry about it.
    Hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions about what to expect next year please feel free to drop me a line! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

There were only 8 places open for transfering into single subject philosophy when I applied. (At least that's what I remember, it was ages ago!)

Only 7 people applied for it so everyone got in. I think they'd be happy to just look at your philosophy results. My grades were pretty mediocre when I changed over, so you shouldn't worry too much about it. Go to the phil department or send them an email about your concern.

You should get it no bother.

Good luck.

Advertisement