Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEED HELP WITH SRP'S (GEOGRAPHY)

Options
  • 04-05-2012 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I am in urgent need of help with the SRP's in Geography my summer exams are beginning next week and Geography is first up and I still dont fully understand how to make an SRP and what they really are?

I know the information quite well but since we were so focused on getting all 3 core units finished this year we never put much time into practising exam questions so I am scredwed for the test cause there is a long question requiring 15 SRP's and I dont know how to make them???????

Can someone please explain to me what they are and provide me with a few examples before I freak the bean!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Inimitable

Anyone out there that can help?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭iliketwixbars

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

Ok in my own words (so mightn't be perfect) a SRP, or Significant Relevant Point, is a piece or pieces or information that support you're answering of the asked question.

What a SRP is can really depend on the examiner.
    For example if a candidate wrote
    The sediments, known as scree or talus, are then removed in soloution by means of bottom traction, saltation, suspension or soloution.

A harsh examiner could give this only one SRP. A very nice one could give:
    - One SRP for "scree/talus"
    - One for "Soloution"
    - One for "bottom traction + saltation..."
    Total = 3 SRPs

So it is very difficult to exactly define a SRP.

The best way to proof youre geog essays from harsh examiners, is to make everything an individual SRP it's self.

So re-wright the above sentence like so:
    The small pieces of rock that are broken off are called scree or talus. This scree is removed by the process of soloution. Depending on the size and weight of the talus, soloution may act by bottom traction, saltation...

By putting them in 3 different sentences, and trying to pad them out a bit, it's difficult for any marker to count that as only one "point"

Finally, make sure what you wright is relevant. This answer would score 3 srps on a waterfall answer, but none in the regional section :)

Tip: If you find you've let yourself go on auto piolet in the exam and have written a lot of irrelevant stuff, see if theres any way you can channel what you've written and reach a conclusion that answers the question. The examiner could read the paragraph, give it no srps but if the last line answers the question, and all the nonsense before it supports the answer you gave, he'll reread and start dishing our the marks :D

Now Im off to wright the essay our teacher gave us for the weekend "Discuss how the animals of any one biome adapt to the soil", caus we all know how important soil is to animals... Gonna be a long 3A4 essay :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Inimitable

Thanks so much for the help I kind of understand it now that Geography is'nt exactly 'black & white' when it comes to the SRP's it really depends on the examiner.

Another question I have is do you know when they ask you to 'Discuss' things in Geography what kind of a layout do you have to write the question in?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Inimitable wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the help I kind of understand it now that Geography is'nt exactly 'black & white' when it comes to the SRP's it really depends on the examiner.

Another question I have is do you know when they ask you to 'Discuss' things in Geography what kind of a layout do you have to write the question in?

We were thought to follow DEEP.
    D - diagram (if there is one)
    E - explain
    E - examples
    P -processes

Not necessarily in that order but it's good to keep in mind :)
    Oh and about the srps, any like facts/figures are definate :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement