Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Solutions of Differential Equations?

Options
  • 03-05-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭

How would you go about getting the general solutions to second order DE's like this?

Y''-8Y'+17Y=0 and Y''-2Y'-3Y=0

Wrecking my head as I could do these no bother but can't find me feckin' notes on them! The notes on the internet want you to have it in a different format which is throwing me off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

You'll need to form the auxiliary equation from the coefficients of the different terms. The type of general solution that you arrive at will be dependent on the nature of the roots of this equation.

The auxiliary equation for the first one for example would be m^2-8m+17=0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

You'll need to form the auxiliary equation from the coefficients of the different terms. The type of general solution that you arrive at will be dependent on the nature of the roots of this equation.

The auxiliary equation for the first one for example would be m^2-8m+17=0
    Could you help me a bit more? I still don't get it. Even a link to a page that explains it. WolframAlpha's no use to me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Muchas gracias amigo! :D

Advertisement