Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverfest

Options
  • 03-05-2012 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭

The weekend is nearly on top of us and aside from a thread on the Great Limerick Run I haven't seen too much on what is happening in the city for Riverfest.

Riverfest Site

Road Closures update from City Hall

Great Limerick Run

Please add anything that you think might warrant highlighting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

I think the important question is, do we get to sample the barbeque for free or what? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭BobMc

phill106 wrote: »
    I think the important question is, do we get to sample the barbeque for free or what? :)
    yes how the hell does that work every year I go in see it and want some, do you just ask for sample of something you like the look of, give a donation, is is chargeable its been going on for years about time they spell it out in advertising how it works !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

+1

Whats in it for the poor Limerick native as they walk around it - The smell?

- Hopefully the standard will be better than the crowd down the milk market with the overpriced burnt sausages anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just back from the fireworks display with my o/h and our 11 year daughter. Got a good view from Sarsfield bridge, the fireworks were good as where the earlier speed boat races.

Christ though the city's future Social Welfare dependants were out in force again. Wall to wall scumbags everywhere given the small Garda presence plenty of verbal abuse. Unfortunately any time the city tries to do something good it is overrun by these vermen who's soul purpose is to cause as much trouble as possible and drag the city's name further into the gutter. The way some of the very young teenage girls about the place were dressed and being followed by equally young packs of boys, it's no wonder they are rolling prams by the age of 18 and looking for social housing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The fireworks were much, much better than I'd expected. :) Must've been going for 15 minutes altogether. I got a decent spot right outside the Curragower, on the footpath as opposed to the board-walk, so I saw none of the dodgy younger crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just back from the fireworks display with my o/h and our 11 year daughter. Got a good view from Sarsfield bridge, the fireworks were good as where the earlier speed boat races.

Christ though the city's future Social Welfare dependants were out in force again. Wall to wall scumbags everywhere given the small Garda presence plenty of verbal abuse. Unfortunately any time the city tries to do something good it is overrun by these vermen who's soul purpose is to cause as much trouble as possible and drag the city's name further into the gutter. The way some of the very young teenage girls about the place were dressed and being followed by equally young packs of boys, it's no wonder they are rolling prams by the age of 18 and looking for social housing.
    Two years ago I went to visit my son (who has "lifestyle choiced" ala Mickey Noonan) in Toronto , we arrived on the weekend of Queen Victoria day, a major holiday in Canada, and went to see the fireworks display on the lakes, in fairness the Riverfest display in Limerick was in my opinion better, but anyway, the population of Toronto is in excess of 2.5 million people, so you can imagine the size of the turnout, well guess what, there were no scobes, no scumbags, no wah's, just the citizens enjoying the spectacle, massive traffic jams, but only good natured queuing to get home and the trams and buses running on time.
    An eye opener on how things can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Also enjoyed the fireworks last night, was parked down on clancy strand directly opposite where they were being launched. Was great! Especially that last set of fireworks, actually had people clapping!
    Did see some young ones who will certainly have a kidney infection in the morning :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Was at the Riverfest Continental Fair on Sat and had an 11 year old with me who wanted to get some pick & mix. We put about 30 sweets (I'm not exaggerating) into a bag and they wanted €20.20 for it! I was so shocked I just stood there for a good 2mins. saying nothing :eek: I told the guy he must be joking and he then told me they were "good sweets not crap Irish ones" I told him he can keep them and he then said he would do me a good deal and give them to me for €17! I just walked off as I wanted to hit him at that stage for trying to rip people off. We went over to Tesco and got a large cup of pix and mix for €5. Did anyone else find the pick and mix stall over priced or am I just a tight git :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

Was at the Riverfest Continental Fair on Sat and had an 11 year old with me who wanted to get some pick & mix. We put about 30 sweets (I'm not exaggerating) into a bag and they wanted €20.20 for it! I was so shocked I just stood there for a good 2mins. saying nothing :eek: I told the guy he must be joking and he then told me they were "good sweets not crap Irish ones" I told him he can keep them and he then said he would do me a good deal and give them to me for €17! I just walked off as I wanted to hit him at that stage for trying to rip people off. We went over to Tesco and got a large cup of pix and mix for €5. Did anyone else find the pick and mix stall over priced or am I just a tight git :confused:

nope i was the same actually had my nephew with me whos 9 and id giving him ten euro to get some as well he had about 15jellies in the bag the guy was charging him 12.50e needless to say he put them back and got a packet in supervalu for a euro..

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

A fortune could easily be spent there, all the food stands have delicious offerings, some are so expensive though.

I didn't go to the BBQ this year, in previous years I did and always felt teased so this year I didn't wander over to that side of the river.

Does anyone know if the public will ever be able to purchase/donate for a helping of the bbq dishes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

yeah I didnt go near it this year as I went last year and got rippped off, that only happens to you once. a mate of mine told me that he went to the bbq on sunday and that he got a hotdog and a burger and it cost him 11e, sweet jesus, thats expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

The meats are all supplied by the individual teams, not meant to charge and its up to them if they want to give out anything or nothing. Id suspect the price above relates to the Locke barbeque

5 euro for a packet of nuts nuff said lol 95fm its great there free stuff lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Thought it was great this year, weather was fab, the range of stuff on was great and the atmosphere around town was fantastic. My favourite weekend to be in Limerick (along with xmas)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Hooked

Was there with my OH and her parents. Same story with pick and mix. Absolute robbery. Burgers 6 euro, sausage in a tiny roll 4 euro. Ripoff-fest more like. A joke of a 'festival'...

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

There was free food on offer at many of the BBQ stalls, you could pay also outside the Locke depending on which stalls you went too. I'd a great €10 lunch in the Locke as we wanted to sit down in comfort. Seriously some people are never happy, if you don't want to pay for stuff then don't buy it.....I spent a couple of hours around the Locke area and thought there was a great buzz around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

There was free food on offer at many of the BBQ stalls, you could pay also outside the Locke depending on which stalls you went too. I'd a great €10 lunch in the Locke as we wanted to sit down in comfort. Seriously some people are never happy, if you don't want to pay for stuff then don't buy it.....I spent a couple of hours around the Locke area and thought there was a great buzz around.

True but that's not the point is it. €6 for a burger. Come on............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭gaf1983

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    A fortune could easily be spent there, all the food stands have delicious offerings, some are so expensive though.

I didn't go to the BBQ this year, in previous years I did and always felt teased so this year I didn't wander over to that side of the river.

Does anyone know if the public will ever be able to purchase/donate for a helping of the bbq dishes?

I suppose when it comes to expensive food offerings in the market, either haggle or walk away.

I ate for free outside The Locke on Saturday, a lot of the groups had collection buckets for various charities and were gratefully accepting donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

zuroph wrote: »
    Thought it was great this year, weather was fab, the range of stuff on was great and the atmosphere around town was fantastic. My favourite weekend to be in Limerick (along with xmas)

Or outbreak ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

We were stung a previous year with the sweets so we avoided them this year. We did however get a hotdog and a burger from The River Bistro. €5 each with a drink, great value and tasted fantastic. We also tasted many of the BBQ stuff that was going on. I though the whole thing was well organised and fantastic value. Except of course for those sweets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Toffeeboy

Anything new for Riverfest this year? Not much detail around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Toffeeboy wrote: »
    Anything new for Riverfest this year? Not much detail around.

Not sure yet but STAY AWAY from the Pix & Mix stand. He tried to charge us 17euro for a small bag of sweets last year. I handed them back to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: A thread for Riverfest 2014 can be started, but this one from 2012 is zombie material and as such is getting a headshot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement