Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco: 10-inch netbook for €189

Options
  • 03-05-2012 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭

Might be a bargain alert, I'm not exactly a netbook guru but seems a good price to me for the spec.

Spotted a couple of nights ago in Clarehall so not sure if it's still the same price or if there's stock, didn't see any on the shelf but then they're never on display, think they keep them behind the counter.

b8671.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭DrChristianTroy

Jarren wrote: »

Does that seem like decent value to you Jarren or what you think?! You seem to know about this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭jamesd

Jarren wrote: »

Does that seem like decent value to you Jarren or what you think?! You seem to know about this stuff.

Slow but fine for surfing / travelling and great for Skype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Given the price yes, it's great little netbook ,good for casual internet browsing,skype,blogging for work or a pleasure.

No multitasking unfortunately because their processors make them both energy-efficient and power-conscious, but that also means they're designed to run fewer programs simultaneously.

You can speed up your device by adding more RAM or replacing hard drive with SSD
    if this is what you want to do .

I would have difficulties to find similiar priced alternative netbook in Ireland to be frank.

If I had a need to get one,this Compaq would my preferred choice.

I'd say if you have a need for one, go and get it .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

make sure ye have an adult to sign for it on delivery:p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭gipi

Went to ClareHall this morning and picked one up - thanks for the alert, sdeire!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

It may struggle to work on streaming video sites, I think thats the main thing to be aware of. It should be fine (but a bit slow) for general surfing and Excel/Word etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I would buy it this morning but its a 4 hour battery compared to 11 battery models I can get for 250 ish what do you think
    Just checked the PC world website, they seem to stock higher priced models now you think theyd be getting cheaper, Hmm might go for the tesco one :s

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭DrChristianTroy

imitation wrote: »
    It may struggle to work on streaming video sites, I think thats the main thing to be aware of. It should be fine (but a bit slow) for general surfing and Excel/Word etc.

How could it be slow streaming videos? All I'd want to for would be word/excel/access and logmein for my desktop in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

saa wrote: »
    I would buy it this morning but its a 4 hour battery compared to 11 battery models I can get for 250 ish what do you think
    I wouldn't be bothered. How often do you expect to need to use it for more than 3-4 hours in a place with no power sockets?

It's a grand little deal. I bought one of these a couple of years ago when Maplins were clearing them at €199, stuck an extra 1GB of RAM in it and replaced WinXP with Win7, and it's been powering away merrily ever since. Takes a lot more battering (from my kids) than a tablet ever would. Plus you can type with more than one finger (i.e. two, in my case... :p).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

peckerhead wrote: »
    I wouldn't be bothered. How often do you expect to need to use it for more than 3-4 hours in a place with no power sockets?

It's a grand little deal. I bought one of these a couple of years ago when Maplins were clearing them at €199, stuck an extra 1GB of RAM in it and replaced WinXP with Win7, and it's been powering away merrily ever since. Takes a lot more battering (from my kids) than a tablet ever would. Plus you can type with more than one finger (i.e. two, in my case... :p).

Was thinking about this http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5086940/Trail/searchtext%3ENETBOOK.htm

Maybe I can't justify the extra 100 for the battery life issue, I just hate when the battery runs down and I have to plug it in almost all the time maybe a replacement battery would be less than 100?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

About €45?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭gipi

I only want it for email/skype/basic websurfing when away - don't need it for streaming video, etc, so I think it'll be fine for my needs, and can't beat the price!.

Will probably upgrade the RAM to 2GB at some stage to give it a bit more oomph!

By the way, before I headed to ClareHall, I checked in Tesco Drogheda and they didn't have this model on sale, so it may be a limited area offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Looks like pretty similar spec to the Samsung NC10 I have.

I had problems with stuttering whilst streaming video such as RTE Player with it until I installed CoreAVC on it, streams flawlessly now.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

This seems to be the exact same in every way except badge as the HP Mini 110 I got on Komplett a year ago for around €180. They are quite slow to do anything at all. Will just about play a movie. I suppose they are ok for the price but I would have expected better specs for the price seeing as it was that price a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

How could it be slow streaming videos? All I'd want to for would be word/excel/access and logmein for my desktop in college.

Flash based video websites like youtube, rteplayer etc need a surprising amount of CPU power, which the Intel Atom can struggle to deliver.

Advertisement