Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying in the UK.

Options
  • 03-05-2012 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all,
    When I complete my Leaving Cert course next year, I am 99% certain that I will be studying abroad in the UK. I am looking to major in musical theatre in The Guildford School of Acting. However, I just don't know where to start when it comes to the financial part of it! For example, will I be entitled to any sort of grant off the government since I plan on studying in the UK? There's just nothing in Ireland that interests me. I hope someone will be able to help me out!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

You'd get an overdraft in the bank no bother! No idea of loans or anything though. I'm an Irish student in the UK and I get nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Moved to NI & GB Colleges

If it's a degree course you should be eligible for a tuition fee loan from the UK government. You would not be entitled to any maintenance grants/payments etc. from UK sources, nor would you be entitled to any from the Irish system. Your chosen college may have scholarships/bursaries etc. or be able to point you toward other sources (philanthropic groups, endowments, charities etc.)

Overdrafts in the UK can be difficult to come by if you're new to the UK but students are generally looked on more favourably by banks than non-students so you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

If your course offers bursaries (eg. Nursing) you won't be entitled to that either unless you have lived in the UK for 3 years previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 UndertheBridge

+1 on the difficulty in getting overdrafts in the UK, I do have a full UK student account but because there is no evidence of a UK student loan going into my account every so often I'm on the blacklist for overdrafts.

Saying that AIB do a brillant 1500 eur interest free overdraft for a year. I managed to get 600eur recently over the phone without having to sign anything, but if you want the full 1500eur you do need to call into the branch. I'm pretty sure Bank of Ireland and the others are on the same par.

Or just don't spend all your money in one go at the beginning of the year like I did ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

pow wow wrote: »
    Moved to NI & GB Colleges

If it's a degree course you should be eligible for a tuition fee loan from the UK government. You would not be entitled to any maintenance grants/payments etc. from UK sources, nor would you be entitled to any from the Irish system. .

You would be entitled to an Irish grant. From the citizensinformation.ie:

"Maintenance grants are available for approved courses below graduate level in Ireland and other EU states and for approved postgraduate courses in Ireland and Northern Ireland."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

"Approved" being the key word there.

Advertisement