Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New company: Ireland's DNA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

The IT has a story today about the setting up of Ireland's DNA, modeled on Scotland's DNA.

It's something I hope to delve into in the future as I have quite a rare Irish name.

Their website, also.

I saw that earlier and looked at the website but I'm not really any the wiser. The subject is certainly one I'd like to learn more about but the more I research it online the more confused I get. Maybe someone on here could explain it in simple layman's terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

I think there are a couple of threads on here from a few months back that deal with DNA and genealogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Has a DNA test helped anyone further their research (as opposed to just being interesting)?

My surname is not very common but most of the names in my tree are - with one or two unusual ones thrown in. The lines I've traced back are all limited to the same very small part of Ireland. I doubt I would be alone in having family history like this and am sceptical about DNA testing for someone like me.

If anyone has had positive experiences, I'd love to hear about them.

PS That Irish Times article reads like a scarcely re-worded press release. Where's the analysis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I did a Dna test a while ago and while very interesting from a historic migration point of view it didn't help with any family history.

Two problems that I see - 1. you need a certain critical mass of test results before there's enough data on file to come up with possible connections. 2. The possible connections I ended up with with back to a date where surnames were not in use... so the surnames returned were different to mine (it was a Y test).

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

shanew wrote: »
    I did a Dna test a while ago and while very interesting from a historic migration point of view it didn't help with any family history.

Two problems that I see - 1. you need a certain critical mass of test results before there's enough data on file to come up with possible connections. 2. The possible connections I ended up with with back to a date where surnames were not in use... so the surnames returned were different to mine (it was a Y test).

Shane

Also these Y tests assume that everyone was honest about who the daddy is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

The IT has a story today about the setting up of Ireland's DNA, modeled on Scotland's DNA.

It's something I hope to delve into in the future as I have quite a rare Irish name.

Their website, also.

I presumed you were one of the Coolnabacky's of Cavan! (Joke!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

CeannRua wrote: »
    Has a DNA test helped anyone further their research (as opposed to just being interesting)?

My surname is not very common but most of the names in my tree are - with one or two unusual ones thrown in. The lines I've traced back are all limited to the same very small part of Ireland. I doubt I would be alone in having family history like this and am sceptical about DNA testing for someone like me.

If anyone has had positive experiences, I'd love to hear about them.

PS That Irish Times article reads like a scarcely re-worded press release. Where's the analysis?

I've heard of cases in the states where it's been handy, for example getting a match with someone who had a more detailed tree etc.

The main problem though is most databases are heavily biased towards American Diaspora communities. There isn't a huge number of men from Ireland who have tested for example. As a result you might get matches but they can be quite old.

Then again for me the interest in DNA testing is more from anthropological as well as insight into ancient history (regarding connections etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TwistedTrees

This has been an interesting read.

Before my senior male family member embarks on the 'Family Tree' surname DNA project (130 in our surname group so far), maybe some further checking into this wouldn't be such a bad idea.

On the other hand, my senior family member is up for having it done, but if we wait too long, I wouldn't like to see the chance lost when one day it's too late. He realizes and recognizes this as well in pushing 80 years old.

Definitely worth checking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

This has been an interesting read.

Before my senior male family member embarks on the 'Family Tree' surname DNA project (130 in our surname group so far), maybe some further checking into this wouldn't be such a bad idea.

On the other hand, my senior family member is up for having it done, but if we wait too long, I wouldn't like to see the chance lost when one day it's too late. He realizes and recognizes this as well in pushing 80 years old.

Definitely worth checking into.

I've tested extensively with FTDNA (FamilyTree DNA). Personally I like them, mainly as they are somewhat of a leader in the area (offering new tests, discovering new markers etc.). I'm also one of two volunteer admins on the "Ireland yDNA Project" (with over 4,000 members).

Ideally if you are testing with FTDNA you need to do at least 37-STR (Short tandem repeats) and ideally 67-STR's. Likewise I would also do Deep Clade test to verify what exact haplogroup a person was in.

It can be an expensive hobby that's for sure! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 john headen

Their website, also.

I live near Coolnabacky Timahoe Co Laois
    sometimes called coolnabacca-" The Back of the beehives "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

AFAIK there is one near Derry also.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

That's where my paternal line comes from.

Advertisement