Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink and nicotine withdrawal

Options
  • 03-05-2012 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I hope the question I’m about to ask doesn’t seem daft, and I would appreciate genuine help and no smartarsery. I have decided that I have had enough of smoking tobacco and want to quit immediately. However, from what I have learned online the first 72 hours are the hardest in terms of cravings, withdrawals etc. I am wondering if drinking in moderation throughout the next 3 days (not drunk) would help cope with the sudden withdrawals from tobacco, and act as a substitution/ distraction for my body for the duration of the first 72 hours. Again, I not taking about getting drunk, just drinking some pints slowly over the next 3 days. Is this a possible coping mechanism, or will it make things worse? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

dpqt wrote: »
    I hope the question I’m about to ask doesn’t seem daft, and I would appreciate genuine help and no smartarsery. I have decided that I have had enough of smoking tobacco and want to quit immediately. However, from what I have learned online the first 72 hours are the hardest in terms of cravings, withdrawals etc. I am wondering if drinking in moderation throughout the next 3 days (not drunk) would help cope with the sudden withdrawals from tobacco, and act as a substitution/ distraction for my body for the duration of the first 72 hours. Again, I not taking about getting drunk, just drinking some pints slowly over the next 3 days. Is this a possible coping mechanism, or will it make things worse? Thanks.

I would imagine that it would make things worse unless it is pints of water that you are drinking, I am now off them 4 days and the craving and withdrawls are not that bad if you are determined to stay off them now if you have not got this determination then yes cravings are bad

It is all about positive thinking , I decided I was going off them and that is that and the past 5 days have flown bye

Give it a go without any drink and just have a positive attitude and you be fine

I smoked for 20years @ 20 a day so if I can go 5 days anyone can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I would think it would only make things harder, i stayed away from alcohol for the first few days, after 6 days i had a few beers and it made the craving far worse,
    now on day 12 and having a few beers and have no major cravings, there is still a small part of me thinking alcohol=cigarette but you just have to ignore it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I stayed away from alcohol for a number of weeks because I didnt want to weaken in my resolve.

Tbh Id be asking why alcohol is a crutch you'd consider using, its not a healthy association to make, that booze will help with another addiction?

Pints of water, plenty of exercise and for me the fishermans friends sweets were the only man. I got rescue remedy but I forgot to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DebbieSilver

I think i have withdrawal symptoms, i today have a nightmare what cigarettes attacked me and all time have headaches. I quitted smoking 1 week ago using Allen Karr book

Advertisement