Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Door Slam' recording, Carlow Shopping Centre

Options
  • 03-05-2012 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭

I found this earlier today but it was the full KCLR live thing. I cut it to the bit about the door slamming. Its self explanatory, but basically we were all upstairs and someone slammed a door downstairs. There was no-one downstairs and all the doors had them things what stop doors slamming.

http://leinsterparanormal.com/EVP/CarlowShoppingCentreDoorSlam.mp3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

Interesting for sure... The participants/investigators were sure it was a door. What was the weather like? Thunder?

As a total aside, it reminds me of this too...

http://youtu.be/NjYgLIicqus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I cant remember the exact weather conditions other than it was Feb or March. I have no recollection of rainy or thundery weather. And yes, I checked every door myself. Cant say the sound was made by a door but its what it sounds like.

As a total aside, it reminds me of this too...

http://youtu.be/NjYgLIicqus

Went straight over my head that reference

The sound seems very real to me. Central heating system firing up?

Sounds a bit like a blast/explosion of air in a tunnel, like when a tube train enters a station.

Or like a large wide heavy plank of wood falling to the ground, or metal security gates coming down to concrete floor? Very real though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

maccored wrote: »
    someone slammed a door downstairs. There was no-one downstairs and all the doors had them things what stop doors slamming.

http://leinsterparanormal.com/EVP/CarlowShoppingCentreDoorSlam.mp3

Ghost of an old maintenance worker obviously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I can't really make it out. Is it that kind of whooshing noise just before everyone starts talking about 'the door'?

I've just googled Carlow Shopping Centre and it doesn't look isolated in any way. It seems to me like the noise may have come from the street, and echoing around the empty centre could make it sound like it came from just about anywhere.

Went straight over my head that reference

at .02 seconds, sound effect on song very similar to your sound clip...

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Ghost of an old maintenance worker obviously

I couldnt say that. There was no-one else in the premises except those of us upstairs. the noise came from downstairs. we couldnt place where it came from. I even went and looked with yer woman from the radio.

kylith wrote: »
    I can't really make it out. Is it that kind of whooshing noise just before everyone starts talking about 'the door'?

whooshing noise?
    I've just googled Carlow Shopping Centre and it doesn't look isolated in any way. It seems to me like the noise may have come from the street, and echoing around the empty centre could make it sound like it came from just about anywhere.

Googling the place and standing inside it are two completely different things. Its pretty isolated when you are in there, and though you will hear obvious noises from the town dirfting through, its clear they are from outside. That noise isnt from outside as it even has the same reverb any other loud noise in the centre makes.

As I say, if you were actually there at the time, you'd be certain enough it came from within the centre walls. I certainly dont doubt that it did.

I can understand what you mean by the echoing sound, but again ... the centre is much more insulated than you seem to think. Ive been in there many times after hours and you dont hear sound like that coming from outside.

The sound seems very real to me. Central heating system firing up?

Sounds a bit like a blast/explosion of air in a tunnel, like when a tube train enters a station.

After hours the heating system doesnt run. theres no point in having it running.
    Or like a large wide heavy plank of wood falling to the ground, or metal security gates coming down to concrete floor? Very real though.

I agree with the plank of wood idea ... it does sound like something falling or closing. In the past people have reported what sounded like steel sheets falling (when the place was used to build lorry bodies) so i think its the same noise. It cant be steel shutters though, as there arent any.

• Advertisement

Any fatalities associated with the premises?

What was the motive for investigating there? Has there been unidentified noises/activities reported before?

it was a gaol with hangings and its been known in Carlow for years to be haunted. Lots and lots of stories.

some of which are in, ahem, Haunted Carlow

it was a gaol with hangings and its been known in Carlow for years to be haunted. Lots and lots of stories.

:eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!

im not one to go for the whole idea that just because something bad happened somewhere or because someone died, that the place gets haunted afterwards. really, the earth is old enough that throughout time someone has probably died on every conceivable bit of ground over the millenia

im not one to go for the whole idea that just because something bad happened somewhere or because someone died, that the place gets haunted afterwards. really, the earth is old enough that throughout time someone has probably died on every conceivable bit of ground over the millenia

So you could have easily gone to a new build then?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

whooshing noise?

Googling the place and standing inside it are two completely different things. Its pretty isolated when you are in there, and though you will hear obvious noises from the town dirfting through, its clear they are from outside. That noise isnt from outside as it even has the same reverb any other loud noise in the centre makes.

As I say, if you were actually there at the time, you'd be certain enough it came from within the centre walls. I certainly dont doubt that it did.

I can understand what you mean by the echoing sound, but again ... the centre is much more insulated than you seem to think. Ive been in there many times after hours and you dont hear sound like that coming from outside.
    It's something inside falling then.

kylith wrote: »
    It's something inside falling then.

thats always an option .. except I went looking and didnt find anything. Its also heard quite a bit including during the day. Theres an interview in Haunted Carlow with the cafe manager who describes what he would regularly hear, in detail. Its a door slamming sound, but it appears to be coming from the top door in the cafe, outside the managers office. He would hear the slam, but the door would be already closed.

So you could have easily gone to a new build then?

i dunno ... you do hear of plenty of newer buildings with apparent paranormal activity so maybe.

I'm interested in that because I tend to think there might well be resonanace of previous humam occupation/occurences (good and bad) associated with older buildings (as opposed to paranormal activity...although I've never seen any definitive proof to prove that either exist.).

A small percentage of certain types of building give me an immediate nervous feeing in the stomach, in a good nostalgic type way. Especially empty school yards and communtiy centres and thay type of building, but thats probably a personal mental thing that I have.

• Advertisement

I just dont know so I cant say. Thats what keeps us all interested probably ... trying to figure out just what the story is.

A small percentage of certain types of building give me an immediate nervous feeing in the stomach, in a good nostalgic type way. Especially empty school yards and communtiy centres and thay type of building, but thats probably a personal mental thing that I have.

EMF and certain kinds of infrasound can do that as well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the last public hanging of a woman in ireland happened there

Lucinda Sly

seemingly she put a curse on the place before she died, it was just on the radio newstalk

aye, theres many stories of lucinda sly - but at the same time, she wasnt the only one hanged or incarcerated there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I was living and studying in Carlow in the late 90s and a friend who had worked in the cafe which was situated in the middle of the shopping centre said that down in the basement, there were still clearly parts of the old jail cell walls to be seen, and it gave them all the creeps - they hated having to go down there for anything. Don't think she ever mentioned any actual activity though.

People were afraid to go to the attic too but that's probably a lot more to do with the massive levels of emf coming from the roof antennae and people sensitive to it move than anything else. I've lived in Carlow since the early 90s and as far as ghosts are concerned, it was the first place I heard if.

Advertisement