Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Everlasting Joys of Wisdom Teeth

Options
  • 03-05-2012 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

I've an orthodontic bar on my wisdom tooth, and I'm abroad so they wont touch it. Something to do with the laws here. So now that my previously slightly lopsided wisdom tooth has been pushed to a lovely(and rather painful) 90 degrees I'm thinking it'll have to come out. I was thinking of going home for a weekend having a dentist appointment booked before I go etc. but would they take it out the same day as they saw me? presuming it's straightforward enough. or would they send me home and make another appointment? I've never had to have teeth out really before so I don't know how it works, and I'd only be home for a few days, like lets say thursday - sunday/monday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm not a dentist but an elective extraction seems to be to be a pretty simple process. I had my top wisdom teeth out a few years ago, the dentist scheduled them I think one week apart so I went in, got the anashthetic, he cleaned around that part of the mouth and then whipped out the wisdom tooth. Nothing more complicated than a pair of dental pliers and in one case a bit of encouragement from a blunt instrument to loosen a tooth that wouldn't go quietly!

Obviously the dentist may decide there's more to it than that in your case and no two cases are the same but in my case an extraction was just that, out she goes! You'll need to avoid hot and cold drinks for a day or so as the nerve will still be exposed and you might need to pop a couple of Neurofen to help you sleep the night after the extraction as there will be a dull pain as soon as the anasthetic wears off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

keesa wrote: »
    I've an orthodontic bar on my wisdom tooth, and I'm abroad so they wont touch it. Something to do with the laws here. So now that my previously slightly lopsided wisdom tooth has been pushed to a lovely(and rather painful) 90 degrees I'm thinking it'll have to come out. I was thinking of going home for a weekend having a dentist appointment booked before I go etc. but would they take it out the same day as they saw me? presuming it's straightforward enough. or would they send me home and make another appointment? I've never had to have teeth out really before so I don't know how it works, and I'd only be home for a few days, like lets say thursday - sunday/monday.

Who is doing the ortho?? Do they approve of the extraction?

Why is it causing trouble?? Is it decayed or impacted or maybe the reason for pain is the orthodontic bar and it will settle once off??

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭keesa

Ortho work is done. She hasn't removed the bar because it's meant to hold the tooth down to stop the growth so the top ones can grow more. I asked her to fix it last year but she wouldn't give me an appointment. repositioning the bar would have fixed it imo, but I'm not an orthodontist. now it's completely sideways from being pushed sideways from the top teeth and from what I understand people don't straighten wisdom teeth. It's getting quite painful now.

Ortho work is done. She hasn't removed the bar because it's meant to hold the tooth down to stop the growth so the top ones can grow more. I asked her to fix it last year but she wouldn't give me an appointment. repositioning the bar would have fixed it imo, but I'm not an orthodontist. now it's completely sideways from being pushed sideways from the top teeth and from what I understand people don't straighten wisdom teeth. It's getting quite painful now.

Impossible to give a proper assessment on Boards but...
    someone needs to make a decision if this tooth should be kept or not, if in good alignment, not impacted and not causing pain and infection- then keep it. if crooked, impacted or causing pain/infection- removal should be considered.

The ortho treatment plan should obviously be considered but if ortho treatment is finished and the tooth is causing trouble then it likely needs removal.

Are you due to have this bar removed anytime soon? Is the orthodontist trying to move this tooth at present??

Wisdom teeth can be tricky to take out so best to book an appointment with an oral surgeon for a plan & extraction. Some will do treatment on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭keesa

I don't mean to be rude, but are you an actual dentist?

The orthodontist hasn't seen me in 2 years. I'm taking it as it's staying there.

• Advertisement

I don't mean to be rude, but are you an actual dentist?

The orthodontist hasn't seen me in 2 years. I'm taking it as it's staying there.

Sounds rude, yes I am an dentist & oral surgeon (5 years dentistry, 3 years oral surgery).
    Good luck with your treatment.
    OS

Advertisement