Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New to overclocking - 4.0 ghz on a 3770k should be easy, right?

Options
  • 03-05-2012 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

I'm new to overclocking and I'm about to put together a new build (which I'm not new to).

I'd like to have a small bump in CPU speed for some work I'm doing where it would make a nice difference. About 4 ghz should suffice which in reality is only .1 ghz over the turbo speed on the CPU anyway.

From what I've read, it seems straightforward enough for such a small increase.

My question is, for such a small increase, would it be possible using the stock cooler and no increase in voltages?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Hard to say, as the processor is so new. I'd say you could maybe get away with stock voltages. If you had to increase vcore, it probably wouldn't be by much at all. I'd also say you could get away with the stock cooler, but temperatures probably wouldn't be the greatest, and it would be loud as hell. Better off getting a third-party one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Thanks.

From what I read, voltages should be OK but putting in something like a CM Hyper 212 Neo might be a good move in terms of cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

even cheap coolers make a difference. Xigmatech Loki for example:
    I built a 2500K with a 4.6Ghz OC @ 1.36v @ 75C under load with GPU also maxed out using furmark. ie the hottest it'll ever get, and it'll run cooler in games.

the fan is also set to run at 500rpm at idle so its quiet.

Advertisement