Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good news for Tesco Clubcard Holders who are BGE customers

Options
  • 02-05-2012 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

Bord Gáis Energy customers can use Tesco Clubcard vouchers to pay energy bills and earn points to spend on groceries.
    Every €5 Tesco Clubcard voucher equals €10 off your Bord Gáis Energy bill.

There are two main elements:
    • From the 21st May, Bord Gáis Energy and Tesco customers will be able to use their Tesco Clubcard Deals vouchers to make payments against their energy bills. Every €5 in Tesco Clubcard vouchers will mean €10 off your Bord Gáis Energy bill.
    • Later in the year, Bord Gáis Energy customers will earn Tesco Clubcard points for payments made against their energy bills. Details of this element will be announced later in the year.
    Our new partnership is designed to deliver genuine value to our customers.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Interesting

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

would this raise competition issues? I sort of think something is wrong if Bord Gais can offer discounts on energy if you shop in Tesco. It's a bit like selling milk below cost. I don't know. Competition is good they say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

would this raise competition issues? I sort of think something is wrong if Bord Gais can offer discounts on energy if you shop in Tesco. It's a bit like selling milk below cost. I don't know. Competition is good they say...

Really don't see this as a competition issue. If it is, whoever decided that it was should be shot.

Nothing different to exchanging vouchers to board gais vouchers then exchanging them for restaurant vouchers or advance pit stop vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I presume that I will have to cancel my Bord Gais DD to avail of this offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lotsofthegreen

Glenbhoy wrote: »

Why would you think that? I cannot understand why someone would presume that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

would this raise competition issues? I sort of think something is wrong if Bord Gais can offer discounts on energy if you shop in Tesco.

What competition? 2 of the suppliers are owned by us and the other receives huge subsidies from us.

If I can get a discount for electricity, which was amongst the cheapest in Europe before it was raised to encourage competition, I don't care who gives it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Doubt it greatly. You can still pay your bill by Dd and pay bits off online/post office to make the Dd amount smaller.

Why would you think that? I cannot understand why someone would presume that

Two reasons - one I'm not sure of, but one is very clear cut.

Definite reason: At present I pay my Bord Gais bill in full via a DD arrangement. As it stands currently, I don't see how I stand to benefit from this offer - any pointers?

Speculative reason: I have a tesco visa card, which I use only for tesco purchases, this gives me extra clubcard points etc, if I can use this to pay my Bord Gais bill and that also ties into my clubcard points, it would generate significant benefits (three very young kids, that heating is never off!!).

January wrote: »
    Doubt it greatly. You can still pay your bill by Dd and pay bits off online/post office to make the Dd amount smaller.

So I can go into a post office with my Bord Gais bill and offer them several clubcard vouchers in part payment? I can see that I might be able to credit my account, it won't affect the DD as stated on the bill though and would have to go towards the next bill which would be fine I suppose.

Would a post office be amenable to taking €8.50 worth of Tesco clubcard vouchers though? What's in it for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭toxicloan365

Tesco Clubcard Voucher deals like this usually have an upper limit to the value of vouchers that can be used in one transaction e.g. Stena Line vouchers are limited to €110 per ferry trip, Siblu Holiday limited to €500.

I'd be very surprised if there isn't a limit on this "deal" as well; how can Bord Gais afford to give heavy credit card users a 50% discount off their Gas bills???

Expect the T&Cs to be updated before 21st May, when this deal goes "live" or else the Tesco Credit Card Call Centre is going to be inundated with applications!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lotsofthegreen

Two reasons - one I'm not sure of, but one is very clear cut.

Definite reason: At present I pay my Bord Gais bill in full via a DD arrangement. As it stands currently, I don't see how I stand to benefit from this offer - any pointers?

Speculative reason: I have a tesco visa card, which I use only for tesco purchases, this gives me extra clubcard points etc, if I can use this to pay my Bord Gais bill and that also ties into my clubcard points, it would generate significant benefits (three very young kids, that heating is never off!!).
    if a person has a tesco credit card they get 1 clubcard point per 2 euro spent anywhere dosnt have to be tesco. Eg if u spend 2euro in tesco u get 1 clubcard point from tesco bank. U would get d same by spending 2euro with it in dunnes. 3 clubcard points total or 2 valueclub points and 1 clubcard point. My point is teres no extra benefit using the tesco visa in tesco as opposed to anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

According to the irish Examiner today the headline reads

"Tesco Deal could save 10% on energy bills"

But if €5 worth of Club card vouchers gets you a BGE €10 discount, how did they come up with 10% or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

because if your energy bill is €100 that would be 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭toxicloan365

okidoki987 wrote: »
    According to the irish Examiner today the headline reads

"Tesco Deal could save 10% on energy bills"

But if €5 worth of Club card vouchers gets you a BGE €10 discount, how did they come up with 10% or am I missing something?

Yeah, indeed, it's not clear how the Examiner did their maths for this article. I think they were calculating the discount percentage based on the average weekly shopping done by an Irish consumer and the average gas bill cost;

Av. weekly spend = €100 => Qualifies for 5,200 Tesco Clubcard Points => Can be translated to €104 worth of Bord Gais vouchers. Av. Gas Bill = €1000 => ~10% Saving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

January wrote: »

So I can go into a post office with my Bord Gais bill and offer them several clubcard vouchers in part payment? I can see that I might be able to credit my account, it won't affect the DD as stated on the bill though and would have to go towards the next bill which would be fine I suppose.

Would a post office be amenable to taking €8.50 worth of Tesco clubcard vouchers though? What's in it for them?
    They dont take tesco vouchers though, just like with Stena Line etc you have to convert the vouchers into vouchers for your chosen deal.

So you'd send a 5 euro voucher to Tesco deals and they send you back a 10 voucher for BGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Also, even if you are set up to pay your Gas / Electricity bill by Direct Debit, there is nothing stopping you from making a top-up payment during the month via Laser, Credit Card or Online banking.

The Direct Debit is only for the outstanding balance, if any exists, after all other payments have been taken into consideration.

That way you can still use the Tesco/BGE vouchers to pay off some of your bill and keep your DD discount (if they still offer that).

if a person has a tesco credit card they get 1 clubcard point per 2 euro spent anywhere dosnt have to be tesco. Eg if u spend 2euro in tesco u get 1 clubcard point from tesco bank. U would get d same by spending 2euro with it in dunnes. 3 clubcard points total or 2 valueclub points and 1 clubcard point. My point is teres no extra benefit using the tesco visa in tesco as opposed to anywhere else

I've had it for years, used to be an additional bonus only for tesco shopping - in any event, it still makes sense to cancel my bord gais dd and pay by tesco visa if that's possible, as then I get piles of extra points which I can then double to reduce the amount of my gas bill. Thanks for clarifying where I gain the extra club card points OP, I should have been using my tesco visa for everything from years ago!!

Also, even if you are set up to pay your Gas / Electricity bill by Direct Debit, there is nothing stopping you from making a top-up payment during the month via Laser, Credit Card or Online banking.

The Direct Debit is only for the outstanding balance, if any exists, after all other payments have been taken into consideration.

That way you can still use the Tesco/BGE vouchers to pay off some of your bill and keep your DD discount (if they still offer that).

I'll have to check that out, they used to alright, but I'm not sure if it is still applied to my account, I'm pretty sure it isn't though.

Advertisement