Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas seats

Options
  • 02-05-2012 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

It's college assignment time again.

Can anyone give me a figure for the number of seats on a Luas tram. I know it was 60, when they were 30 metres. 40 metres anyone?

Asked train questions before and got good response, don't let me down this time :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

A mere sixty seats on a vehicle that's over 98 feet long is a remarkable waste. Even the older dual-door Atlantean buses had twelve more seats than that. Of course, they want to squish 175 standees into the same vehicle; doesn't appeal to me.

The 40-metre-long vehicles (that's 131' 2" approx) have 80 seats. To be shared with 220 standees.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

CIE wrote: »
    A mere sixty seats on a vehicle that's over 98 feet long is a remarkable waste.

how'd you figure that. Luas is mass transport, the key word being mass. They're designed to fit as many people as possible, not to fit as many seats as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

how'd you figure that. Luas is mass transport, the key word being mass. They're designed to fit as many people as possible, not to fit as many seats as possible

I'd have said that the LUAS is Light Rail, the word being "light" as in not able to take a heavy load.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Fatscally wrote: »
    I'd have said that the LUAS is Light Rail, the word being "light" as in not able to take a heavy load.

yeah it is light rail and light rail is mass transport, what's your point?

300 people is 24 ton plus the weight of the vehicle.
    how does a 40m Luas compare (300 cap) compare to the same lenth of DART capacity wise? the equiv lenght of 29k can carry 402 people so not much bigger really. 4 carraige unit 81.4m and 819 cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Light rail more refers to the overall build specification of the system as a whole, Scally. Luas isn't built for the same speeds that Dart or rail is capable of, it's an open street system with numerous stops and as such it has limitations compared to what heavy rail operates under.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

CIE wrote: »
    A mere sixty seats on a vehicle that's over 98 feet long is a remarkable waste. Even the older dual-door Atlantean buses had twelve more seats than that. Of course, they want to squish 175 standees into the same vehicle; doesn't appeal to me.

The 40-metre-long vehicles (that's 131' 2" approx) have 80 seats. To be shared with 220 standees.

For trams it's about standing room and not providing seats. Irish people seem to have an obsession with having a seat on public transport.

Seat layouts are dreadful on DART and suburban rail

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭dowlingm

another fight in an empty room :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

dowlingm wrote: »
    another fight in an empty room :rolleyes:

Exactly. :pac:

Thanks to the provider of the actual answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Pajor, I think the amount of seats actually varies between sub-models.

When the monkey bars were fitted to the older (3000 + 4000 series) trams, some seats were taken out. The 5000 series may be different again.

It would be useful cheking with Laus / RPA.

Advertisement