Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim Safety Device...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

On a serious note, it does seem like a good idea for solo OW swims

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

out of interest how many people have given Dc rainmaker a contribution towards his efforts.
    I dodnt use his website often but they are really great tests from what i see.

has he ever said how many people have contributed ?

he seems to be genuinly unbiassed ?
    would one be right with that statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

out of interest how many people have given Dc rainmaker a contribution towards his efforts.

has he ever said how many people have contributed ? as i just saw he has a donation possibility on his side .

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MyWebPersona

I thought this looked better if you were going out on your own for a sea swim

http://www.ishof.org/cgi-bin/mivavm?/Merchant2/merchant.mvc+Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SF06&Category_Code=SF

Nice and bright for visibilty and cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Peter not sure if you listen to IM Talk podcasts but he was interviewed on episode 302. Decent interview and I always look out for his reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »

has he ever said how many people have contributed ? as i just saw he has a donation possibility on his side .

I thought so. HOWEVER based on my recent experiences with the Polar RX5 and when I compared my experience with it to his review I'm left with the following choices:

1) He didn't do a great review, a one off mistake
    2) He basically is a completely beginner and doesn't understand what an athlete actually wants
    3) He is biased and paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tunney wrote: »
    I thought so. HOWEVER based on my recent experiences with the Polar RX5 and when I compared my experience with it to his review I'm left with the following choices:

1) He didn't do a great review, a one off mistake
    2) He basically is a completely beginner and doesn't understand what an athlete actually wants
    3) He is biased and paid.

I do think he is slightly biased, but towards Garmin if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

I thought this looked better if you were going out on your own for a sea swim

http://www.ishof.org/cgi-bin/mivavm?/Merchant2/merchant.mvc+Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SF06&Category_Code=SF

Nice and bright for visibilty and cheap.

I got that one a few weeks ago. Haven't tested it out myself as yet but friends of mine have and advise it is a good safety device. With the short rope, it sits in your turbulent water and you don't notice pulling it.

DSC_0578.jpg

DSC_0583.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MyWebPersona

Let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Let us know how you get on.

And where you picked it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

kind of surprised that this hasn't come up on the thread already but a full length swimming wetsuit (ie lots of 5mm neoprene) is of itself a very buoyant safety device. you will comfortably float in one with your head out of the water without the need to tread water should you need to. we tried this last night at our sea swim just for kicks and everyone could do it and some very nevous of being in the water.

but, if you're going to faint etc the device would keep your head out of the water which a wetsuit wouldn't. so could be good for people with epilepsy maybe?

also if you are swimming in skins (ie no wetsuit or maybe a shortie) then this would perform a function (keeping you afloat without treading water) that you wouldn't be able to do otherwise.

since wetsuits are compulsary for all swim legs of TI sanctioned events in ireland this device would have a very limited market here but that would be different elsewhere. even though the images all show swimmers in wetsuits.

but if you're healthy and fit and feel the need to bring a lifejacket with you swimming (wearing a wetsuit) you should have a think about the swimming you're doing. you shouldn't be on your own and shouldn't be in deep water, ie keep parallel to the shore. if in an event you're never too far from a safety boat.

as for the tri deaths, as far as i know they were cardiac related. could someone in the midst of a heart attack in the sea, pull a cord (probably), grab a lifejacket (possibly) and put it on properly (unlikely). remember they'd have to put it on properly to keep their face out of the water.

it's a clever little design but i feel they came up with a solution to a problem that largely isn't there.

as for it providing no additional drag, well that's just not true, how could something strapped to you leg provide no drag, physically impossible. they could have suggested there was minimal drag or even tested it and given the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

promethius wrote: »
    kind of surprised that this hasn't come up on the thread already but a full length swimming wetsuit (ie lots of 5mm neoprene) is of itself a very buoyant safety device. you will comfortably float in one with your head out of the water without the need to tread water should you need to. we tried this last night at our sea swim just for kicks and everyone could do it and some very nevous of being in the water.

but, if you're going to faint etc the device would keep your head out of the water which a wetsuit wouldn't. so could be good for people with epilepsy maybe?

also if you are swimming in skins (ie no wetsuit or maybe a shortie) then this would perform a function (keeping you afloat without treading water) that you wouldn't be able to do otherwise.

since wetsuits are compulsary for all swim legs of TI sanctioned events in ireland this device would have a very limited market here but that would be different elsewhere. even though the images all show swimmers in wetsuits.

but if you're healthy and fit and feel the need to bring a lifejacket with you swimming (wearing a wetsuit) you should have a think about the swimming you're doing. you shouldn't be on your own and shouldn't be in deep water, ie keep parallel to the shore. if in an event you're never too far from a safety boat.

as for the tri deaths, as far as i know they were cardiac related. could someone in the midst of a heart attack in the sea, pull a cord (probably), grab a lifejacket (possibly) and put it on properly (unlikely). remember they'd have to put it on properly to keep their face out of the water.

it's a clever little design but i feel they came up with a solution to a problem that largely isn't there.

as for it providing no additional drag, well that's just not true, how could something strapped to you leg provide no drag, physically impossible. they could have suggested there was minimal drag or even tested it and given the results.

I think it was more being discussed in the the context of solo open water swim training.

Try telling your O/H "Oh I'll be grand, it takes influence to drown in a wetsuit" We know it to be true but it works alot better "I'm off swimming in the lake on my tobler, don't worry I've got my personal safety device. Look its orange!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

yeah it's orange and bright it must be good :D now leave me alone wifey!

solo open water training is risky business i've done plenty of long ow swims, but would never go on my own, too risky. but that's prob another thread altogether :)

Advertisement