Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

To be honest, If you didn't obtain that statement at the time of him making it in writing, I really cannot see what you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

VM1 wrote: »
    I purchased a car from Templeogue Car Sales last August and specifically asked the sales man if the car had the timing belt changed or not. The sales person told me that the car (a renault megane estate) had a timing chain and that it therefore wouldn't need a timing belt change.
    I have now learned he was mistaken and I do need to get a timing belt change at considerable cost to me. I have nothing unfortunately in writing about the chain as he verbally told me.

Is there any way I can get the garage to accept responsibility. I have tried talking to the sales guy but he wont have anything to do with the issue and says he cant remember what he said to me at the time of the sale.

I feel really stupid I didn't check the timing chain claim at the time but what happened to truthful, ethical sales men?

Any advice as to what I can do? :(

Its bad form, but unless you have something on your receipt for the car saying that the timing belt was done, you haven't any come back other then good will on the part of the garage. You could try that.

Your average sales man wouldn't have a notion about any technical aspects of a car so people taking their word on things like timing belts etc is often the start of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Needs to be written down I'm afraid, unless you had a witness with you at the time to hear that

Advertisement