Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build Air Source Heat Pump and UFH

Options
  • 02-05-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

Hope somebody can provide me with advice if they know anything of this system or if they have it installed themselves. I am looking at the Air Source Ochsner split evaporator and heat pump system to run UFH and hot water in a new build. I have been told that this will have running costs of between 600 and 800 euro a year on electricity. This they say is with the heating on continuosly. This seems good compared to the cost of oil and from what i know oil can be an expensive way to run UFH. I have spoken with family members who use natural gas and oil and they say that they could spend up on €2000 a year on oil.
    This system is new to me and alot of it goes over my head. Does anybody have any experience with the system? Are the running costs really what the suppliers say they will be and has anybody had maintenance issues? It is a big investment to go with this system so i would like to know what others think. They say it will pay for itself in 4 yrs or so but even if after 10 years the system has payed for itself surely thats still pretty good? I know it can work out more by the time mortgage interest rates are taken into account.
    The house is 2900sq ft with a concrete slab first floor. Plan is to insulate with pumped cavity 100mm, 50mm insulated board on external walls and either spray of boards in the roof. Also floor insualtion was planned to 100mm but this may be reduced to allow for 100mm screed. Has anybody any opinions on the impotance of the depth of floor insulation?
    I would appreciate any advice and help on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

The architect will have to plan for the energy usage. There are various building regulations, one of these demands the thermal energy demand to be calculated before submitting the planning aplication.
    Ask your architect, civil engineer or who ever is doing the planning to advise you.
    EN 12831 is the method to calculate the thermal energy demand. Ask for this.

Without a proper calculation (signed and guaranteed) no recommendation on a heating system can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NewBuild2012

thanks for the reply heinbloed. The house has already started and no energy usage plan was carried out or required for planning.
    I would still like to know anybodys opinions on the Ochsner Supersplit Millennium system. If anybody has had it installed or knows of it what feedback do you have. I would like to hear opinions and experiences of the system before making a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Busybear

Just wondering if you went ahead with the ochsner air source heat system. How do you find it? What are your running cost for the year? How does it perform over the winter months?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NewBuild2012

Busybear the house is still under construction and the heat pump has not yet been installed. We have always planned to put it in budget permitting. we still hop to go ahead as I have spoken with users of the system who find it to work well. The problem is justifying the high cost now against an oil boiler and other form of renewable energy

Advertisement