Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motor tab broken. how to fix?

Options
  • 02-05-2012 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭

Hi, I recently broke a tab off the top of my motor, and was thinking of soldering it to the flat plate corner where the tab was connected at a right angle to fix since I don't have another motor I can use. What I want to know is if the solder gets on the coil part near where the tab was, will that cause any problems?

This happened because the red wire connecting the motor head to the gearbox snapped at the bent angle. I removed the heat shrink insulation on the plug so as to expose the wire in an attempt to twist the exposed wire into the tiny hole on the motor tab to achieve a connection(temporary) as I was at an event. This is when the tab bent and snapped off due to roughness on my part.
    The original question is whether soldering the exposed wire onto the wee metal plate space on the motor head, beside the small cylindrical coil would be damaging.
    Hope that makes sense. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

It won't cause too many problems, that coil is only a spring to hold the brush in place. However do try to be neat, as you don't want stray solder to enter the inner workings of the motor.
    You could just get a new spade end connector and stick it on the wire and repair the damaged part ot the motor. I could send you the motor part your looking for if you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

thermo wrote: »
    It won't cause too many problems, that coil is only a spring to hold the brush in place. However do try to be neat, as you don't want stray solder to enter the inner workings of the motor.
    You could just get a new spade end connector and stick it on the wire and repair the damaged part ot the motor. I could send you the motor part your looking for if you like?

That's very generous thermo. its for a dboys m4 motor. I'll include a pic later or are they all standard. Otherwise I was planning on getting one of these. http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/115/gfx/large/8015kc2l.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

cursai wrote: »
    That's very generous thermo. its for a dboys m4 motor. I'll include a pic later or are they all standard. Otherwise I was planning on getting one of these. http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/115/gfx/large/8015kc2l.gif

send me a pm with your name and address and ill send you out the bits you need. :)

Advertisement