Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland. Y u no have welcome sign??

Options
  • 02-05-2012 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Just curious really as to why the border is marked by change in speed limit signs only. Do you think there should be a "welcome to Northern Ireland" sign? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

ok i just did a google image search and found this:

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/45372534.jpgmedium/45372534.jpg

But maybe a small one on each entrance road? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

twistyj wrote: »
    ok i just did a google image search and found this:

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/45372534.jpgmedium/45372534.jpg

But maybe a small one on each entrance road? :)

That's at Belfast. There may be something similar at other ports.

I remember seeing footage from the 60's that had a "Welcome to Northern Ireland" at the border, but this was presumably blown up at some point during the troubles!

If there was one today, it might well be defaced, (look on Streetview at some signs into Spain, which have been "corrected" to Galicia or whatever).

I remember seeing a sign on the border which said "Visitors: Please ensure your motor insurance is valid for Northern Ireland" where every word had been crossed out apart from "Ireland".

In the future, it might happen, but it is probably be better to keep it low-key on the border for the time being.

What they should do, it have a sign welcoming drivers to the county, or to the local council area (which doesn't happen consistently). Perhaps "Northern Ireland" could be written small on that sign, but no more than that. It might annoy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

The population around the areas in which the border lies generally dont like the border...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

I remember seeing a "Welcome to county Louth" sign on the old N1/A1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

As far as I know there is an understanding between the NI and ROI authorities that the border should be kept unmarked. It would hardly be worth the while erecting signs that would end up defaced or vandalised anyway. Look what constantly happens to the Londonderry signs. Since the official name of the republic is 'Ireland' that's what would need to be printed on the sign, you can imagine the antipathy certain locals would have to such a sign! Likewise for NI.

It's common to see the signs for the county when crossing the border into the republic but less so for NI. Usually just the 'Speed Limits in Miles Per Hour' along with the general speed limit crossed circle sign.

For me, this sign is the same thing as 'Welcome to Ireland'!

cesign.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cu cullainn

As far as I know there is an understanding between the NI and ROI authorities that the border should be kept unmarked. It would hardly be worth the while erecting signs that would end up defaced or vandalised anyway. Look what constantly happens to the Londonderry signs. Since the official name of the republic is 'Ireland' that's what would need to be printed on the sign, you can imagine the antipathy certain locals would have to such a sign! Likewise for NI.

It's common to see the signs for the county when crossing the border into the republic but less so for NI. Usually just the 'Speed Limits in Miles Per Hour' along with the general speed limit crossed circle sign.

For me, this sign is the same thing as 'Welcome to Ireland'!

cesign.jpg

Right, geography lesson no. 1.
    The official name for the Republic is "Eire"
    The official name for the Island is "Ireland"
    "Ireland" is made up of 4 provinces - Ulster, Munster, Leinster & Connacht
    Now wait for it......... This is important.......... Ulster has 9 counties, not 6.
    "The North of Ireland" :-( has 6 counties, every one as green as the 26 in the South.
    So North and South = "Ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Now wait for it......... This is important.......... Ulster has 9 counties, not 6.
    "The North of Ireland" :-( has 6 counties, every one as green as the 26 in the South.
    Can you point out where anything different was said in this thread please or did you just pop in to troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

"The North of Ireland"
    If you are going to be a pedant, at least get it right!

I think you'll find that any map calls it Northern Ireland.

<SNIP>

I LOVE this place, no matter what ya call it!!

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

• Advertisement

Right guys, lets stick to the topic please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

The official name of the 26 county state is 'Ireland' in English and 'Éire' in Irish. This is set out in Article 4 of the constitution. Look it up if you don't believe me.

The island is also called 'Ireland'.

I'm sure you'll find some way to argue with me though.

Warning given for the off topic post above ^.

Keep it up folks and bans will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

This issue was discussed at length in another thread. Here's the link for anyone interested in reading all 700+ posts: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056720862

Many felt that the MPH/KPH signs served a similar purpose, and were generally less likely to be defaced.

This issue was discussed at length in another thread. Here's the link for anyone interested in reading all 700+ posts: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056720862

Many felt that the MPH/KPH signs served a similar purpose, and were generally less likely to be defaced.
    Good to know about that thread.

Anyone else wishing to respond here can post instead in the the thread quoted above.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement