Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC This World investigation.

Options
  • 02-05-2012 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

I wonder how the bishop felt watching this tonight!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

A

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

must try and get this on iplayer, didn't know it was on!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Heard a snippet of this being discussed on the radio in the car this morning. Shocking to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

danniemcq wrote: »
    must try and get this on iplayer, didn't know it was on!

It's not available on iPlayer here.

You can watch it here though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ma9ALRpEVw

It's in four parts, links to each consecutive part provided just under the video.

I'm not sure whether I want to cry, or hit something.(or someone!) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 45,835 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Noreen1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether I want to cry, or hit something.(or someone!) :o
    get in line :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Watched the BBC film on child abuse. Nauseating to see Brady's responses today still defending his failure to protect those children from abuse. He still maintains he did nothing wrong. I think it was inhuman the way he interrogated that boy on his own as he did - making the parents stay outside. That was more abuse of that boy. It goes against all human never mind moral justice to put an abused child alone in that position to be interrogated about the details of their abuse. He has a lot to answer for and I hope he is brought to justice for failing to report the vile criminal offences to the Gardai. Its also repugnant to impose an oath of secrecy on a child to conceal a crime. Words cannot express my abhorrence of Brady's actions. What sort of a monster would do this to a child and see nothing wrong about it? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

someone organised a collection for fr Greene a couple of years ago, and it is claimed that €50,000 was raised... it was supposed to be a little something for him when he got out of prison..... go figure :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

parishoners in Gortahork did a collection for fr Greene a couple of years ago, they raised €50,000... it was supposed to be a little something for him when he got out of prison..... go figure :confused:

If memory serves, they also had a bit of a 'coming home' shindig for him!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Pandora2 wrote: »

Well if this is true then thats sad too.

Unfortunately we have a generation of older people who still think the Church can do no wrong. look at that Mary Doherty woman who was on The Nolan Show last night. She is basically an apologist for the CC.

Only hope is that whenever this generation goes, the ones coming behind will have little interest in institutional religion, and then the Church will get what it deserves.

And they have no-one to blame but themselves. So much evil in an organisation that is meant to live by God's law.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gibbonson

I grew up in one of the parishes in SW Donegal Eugene Greene (sorry he doesn't deserve the respect of Fr neither does Brendan Smith) "served" in during the early 70s. I distinctly remember him coming to our small 2 teacher country primary school every Friday. I have only one brother and remember that he hadn't made his communion at time so couldn't be an altar boy - thank God for that.

There is no doubt about it they were different times, but we all knew right from wrong and to use this as an excuse for not pursuing claims is just a slap in the face for all those people who were abused by these criminals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,835 ✭✭✭✭muffler

pbarr wrote: »
    Did this happen in Gortahork or was it Annagry. He served in both places.

<SNIP>
    Please read the forum charter. There are certain online media that we would rather have no mention of around these parts.

We have standards here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

muffler wrote: »
    There are certain online media that we would rather have no mention of around these parts.

We have standards here :)

I get your drift :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Pandora2 wrote: »

Definitely not.

I can't say for sure whether any money was collected in the Gortahork area - if so, I suspect it would have been a very small amount.

Eugene Greene hadn't served in Gortahork for several years before he went to prison. Annagry likewise.

As far as I remember, he was stationed in the Kilmacrenan area before he went to jail. I heard rumours that there was both a collection, and a Welcome home function for him there after his release. I don't know how much truth there is in that.

I was speaking to some people from Gortahork parish today, and the anger there is still palpable - naturally enough.
    I rather suspect that the majority of Greenes victims may have been from the parish of Gortahork. He was stationed there for a long time.
    It's a close-knit community, like most of rural Donegal, so most people know several of his victims.
    Whatever about storming any event that celebrates his release from jail - the people I know from there (and I know a lot of them) would not welcome him back - AT ALL.

Garda Martin Ridge is regarded as the hero in that parish, and deservedly so. That's one Garda that earned every penny of his wages imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

sorry, I didn't put up a link. I remember seeing the headline about the collection on BBC ulster 2 years ago.. there are some references to the amount of €50,000 on different sites, here is one

On another site the figure $71k is mentioned, so it looks as if some of the money was raised in the USA? Link

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

im from that area, & I too have heard the rumours about money being collected but never anything definitive. If it was done, it wasn't done very publicly....I was around the time he got out of prison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

I'm from the area myself and if the 'shindig' didn't happen it was certainly in the planning stages........all those good folks who put their hand in their pocket would surely have wanted to attend!!

Not suggesting it was in Gortahork or Kilmacrennan but rather in the area he hails from.

I remember well when his shame was made public, he had just tried to give a friend of mine's son a lift home and 3 other kids warned him not to get in the car. I think the kids gave up waiting for an adult to help and just started looking out for each other!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

well, looks like i was wrong. it appears plenty of people seem to have been approached for (and given) money...

some people....

Advertisement