Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wtf stephen hendry retires

Options
  • 01-05-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

I am in absolute shock and disappointed my f
    avourite player has retired and will never see him play in the crucible again. Cant believe it, especially considering the great tournament he had. I supose the question were all asking now is.... Why?? A sad day for snooker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

He will be spending more time in China, it has a lot of up and coming new stars, must have some sort of academy over there. Best of luck to him, was and is a great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I thought initially it might be a snap decision given the hiding he was on the receiving end of......but maybe he had it planned for awhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I didn't see it when he lost, but I thought his 147 was well played, watched it again and the commentary describes almost every shot as impossible. Will be sad to see him go, but sure he's probably tired of the same routine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I never liked him, he was always beating Jimmy White in the final, and I'd be gutted. Especially that final he beat Jimmy 18-17 or 18-16, can't remember, nearly cried that night. He was just unstoppable for so long, used to just hate him for that. He wasn't stylish and unpredictable like Jimmy, just boring but technically perfect.

But you can't not appreciate his greatness, so I have to hand it him, he's a legend of the game. I wasn't too surprised he retired, to be honest I thought he would've done it sooner. He's won everything, can't imagine him having that same hunger to win that you need. Hope he sticks around to do snooker coverage with the BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 couch_dweller

I never liked him, he was always beating Jimmy White in the final, and I'd be gutted. Especially that final he beat Jimmy 18-17 or 18-16, can't remember, nearly cried that night. He was just unstoppable for so long, used to just hate him for that. He wasn't stylish and unpredictable like Jimmy, just boring but technically perfect.

But you can't not appreciate his greatness, so I have to hand it him, he's a legend of the game. I wasn't too surprised he retired, to be honest I thought he would've done it sooner. He's won everything, can't imagine him having that same hunger to win that you need. Hope he sticks around to do snooker coverage with the BBC.

he was like steve davis only not , davis was a robot on the table but turned out to be a very affable and warm guy in reality , i know people ( fans ) who met hendry and they all said he,s a cold fish

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

i know people ( fans ) who met hendry and they all said he,s a cold fish

Have to disagree with that, i think Hendry is one of the nicest guys on the tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Hendry was anything but boring. He very rarely turned down a potting opportunity to play safe unlike davis who brought the word boring to a new level.
    Hendry re-invented break building and was a pure master class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Hendry was only boring because any match he played you kind of knew he'd more than likely win it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Even at 14 it was red, black, red, black...

Advertisement