Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting from Belfast to Roscommon/Castlerea by bus/train/air on a Saturday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Hey all,

Hope you can help.

Sat May 12th, I'd like to get from Belfast to Castlerea, or if not Castlerea Roscommon (preferably) or Galway as a last resort by some form of public transport, without going back via Dublin.

I found this GoldLine timetable but it doesnt run to Roscommon on Saturdays.

I'm even considering flying into Knock! FlyBe appear to have some for $200 but that seems excessivehttp://www.farecompare.com/results/flights-marketsearch.html?departdate=20120512&cabin=Coach&flexDates=&destination=NOC&c2=2&p=1&altAirports=false&onlyNonStops=false&s=d&departure=BFS&saveMySearch=&t=o&dsh=1&type=flights-market&returndate=, but these appear to take 26 hours so I must be doing something wrong.

Any ideas?

No flights from Belfast to anywhere in Ireland- that flight is probably via many other places!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

No flights from Belfast to anywhere in Ireland- that flight is probably via many other places!

Yeah, 24 and 48 hour flights, so probably around the world, and at that rate it'd be worth just going back to Dublin, but would REALLY rather avoid that! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Yeah, 24 and 48 hour flights, so probably around the world, and at that rate it'd be worth just going back to Dublin, but would REALLY rather avoid that! :(

271 leaves Belfast at 0910 and will bring you to Cavan, change onto 065 which will bring you to Athlone, though also goes to Longford first which is close
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1316444966-78.pdf

Then there's a bit of a wait, the 21 will bring you to Castlerea http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1301050805-21.pdf

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

This is one of the things I find hard about travel in Ireland, for me I see no 0910 bus online, but I am sure there is one. And you could as easily miss a bus if you're waiting at the wrong corner.

Thanks so much for the help, really appreciate it.

Now I shall spend time trying to understand these damn timetables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

get the bus/train to Dublin first, then bus/train to Roscommon/Castlerea.

simplest solution.

• Advertisement

Yeah, this was so damned awkward that I went to Roscommon from Dublin this weekend instead. The prices were better though so what I lost in convenience I gained in a few euro.

Advertisement