Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when can I eat and what can I eat

Options
  • 01-05-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Just got my back right tooth out, still num but bleeding has stopped, only problem is im starving

Can I eat in the next 2 hours or so and what ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Nothing hot and nothing you have to chew - while it's numb - so that you don't burn or bite yourself.
    Safest thing is to drink a pint or two of water (through a straw if neccesary) to stave the hunger for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Thanks pal, when the numbness goes away would it be safe to have a bowl of cereal or so ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Cedrus wrote: »
    Nothing hot and nothing you have to chew - while it's numb - so that you don't burn or bite yourself.
    Safest thing is to drink a pint or two of water (through a straw if neccesary) to stave the hunger for another while.

All good, except don't use the straw

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Eat soft food like banana, youghurt with fruit you can crush without using teeth like orange or peach. Cheese sandwich with white bread, barm brack, light chocolate that needs no chewing like an aero bar.

By cereal I assume you're not talking about something like oatmeal which could grind against the raw nerve.....

Best avoid hot and cold drinks for a day or so but you could risk a cup of tea with lots of milk and drink in small sips so you can avoid the exposed nerve until it heals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

All good, except don't use the straw

Why no straw? I'm guessing because of the suction pressure?
    I've used a straw when the numb half of my face won't reliably curl around the lip of the glass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

If your numb, you may not be fully spacially aware where the straw is and it could jab against the tooth...
    OS can correct me if i'm wrong :p

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Thanks for the help, had a bowl of coco pops no problem what do ever, sandwich was a great idea too both went down a treat, ahhh ill leave tea till tomorrow morning ill be sure to add plenty of milk,

What I really want is a chicken fillet burger or sumthing :-( place down the road makes the best 1 I ever tried

Thanks again boarders !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Cedrus wrote: »
    Why no straw? I'm guessing because of the suction pressure?
    I've used a straw when the numb half of my face won't reliably curl around the lip of the glass.

If it is a upper back tooth and very close to the sinus, you may precipitate an opening from the mouth into the maxillary sinus (air cavity beside the nose).
    Also
    Suction may dislodge a blood clot from the socket and predispose to dry socket...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

sonyvision wrote: »
    What I really want is a chicken fillet burger or sumthing :-( place down the road makes the best 1 I ever tried

Thanks again boarders !!!

you've never been to hillbillys in fairview then, but it's that sense of impending violence as you're waiting for the burger that makes it that bit more special..

Advertisement