Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What NFQ Level did I get (If any)

Options
  • 01-05-2012 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I attended Colaiste Ide from 2000 - 2002 in which I took a course titled "Network and Software Systems" This was over two years in which I received a National Certificate award.

Roll on 10 years and I am looking to start a degree course - my question is where can I find out what level I reached. The college are no use in this regard.

A follow on question is - given that the qualification I got was 10 years ago can this be used to join the second year on a course now (If the NFQ award if sufficient) ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When you say the college are 'no use', what did they say to you in answer to your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭boogerballs

Hi Spurious,

Each time I called i was told i need to speak to someone who currently was not available. I'm finding it hard to get information from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I *think* a National Certificate is the same level as a Higher Certificate (Level 6). I'm not 100% certain though. Could you ask the college you are planning to apply for a course in?

It might be a good idea to get in touch with FETAC either as they're the awarding body now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ProjectO

Hi

The vast majority of qualifications awarded before the launch of the NFQ in 2003 have been formally recognised by it. This diagram gives a good overview (but not absolutely up to date i.e. some less commonly held qualifications may have taken longer to recognise).

http://www.nfq.ie/nfq/en/images/LegacyFan.JPG

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ProjectO

Sorry....

In response to your second question, the decision whether you can get credit / exemptions to attend a particular course is really up to the specific provider. There is no certain answer other than what they are willing to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 slick31

Hey,
    I'm in same boat - it seems difficult to find out for sure what level it is. From what I can gather its NFQ level 6 but I'm not sure. I did Foundation Level Access to Science and Engineering in UCD - think it was in 2002. I got a NUI Cert with 1st class honours. I'm now in a position to consider doing the degree. Can anyone tell me for sure what level this is on the NFQ system?
    Cheers,
    Slick:pac:

Advertisement