Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on First Time Bike

Options
  • 01-05-2012 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

I'm looking to get a commuter as i'm really sick of the traffic getting into sandyford. I won't need anything bigger than a 250(I imagine) as it's my first bike and just wanted some unbiased feedback on good starter bikes.

I'm 6'1 about 90kgs and have been driving about 6 years but never on a motorcycle.

I'll be avoiding the m50 and mostly using the bike to get to work, nip to the shops etc.

Any and all comments appreciated

Thanks,
    J
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I always liked Suzuki gn250 . Almost bullet proof. But I doubt if they still make em.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

It really is a a proverbial piece of string question.
    What license have you got?
    what style of bike do you like?
    How much money do you want to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jbdub

It really is a a proverbial piece of string question.
    What license have you got?
    what style of bike do you like?
    How much money do you want to spend?

Licence- Full Car Driving Licence but haven't done any Bike tests yet.
    Style - It's more about functionality but I like the look of the HONDA HORNET 250
    Budget - I'm trying to keep the cost below 2000

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

jbdub wrote: »
    Style - It's more about functionality but I like the look of the HONDA HORNET 250

Thanks

2k for the bike or 2k in total to get you on the road ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Thanks

Yeah, the Hornet 250 is a great bike, but you might be better off going for a restricted Hornet 600, or even better - a CB400 Super Four. Bulletproof and an excellent commuter and learner bike.
    oleras wrote: »
    2k for the bike or 2k in total to get you on the road ?

Yes, true. Given that half decent gear (depending on brand and where you get it) can cost from €500 to €1000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

Yeah, the Hornet 250 is a great bike, but you might be better off going for a restricted Hornet 600, or even better - a CB400 Super Four. Bulletproof and an excellent commuter and learner bike.

Yeah, you're a big lad at 6ft. I wouldn't be so against bigger bikes. I was that way when I started, but I soon got bored with the smaller bike. Once I got comfortable on my 125 I wanted a bit more speed/power. Power can get you out of trouble too.

I would like to add a Honda Transalp 650 to your list.

In fact just saw this on DoneDeal. I dont know this guy but I know the bike really well. These are fantastic. The mileage is low for it. Its a bike that I was very fond of. You can restrict these for provisional riders.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/3303703

And and... the KLE
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/3101774

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Well I think the main thing to do would be to book your Theory Test and get that done and out of the way with, so you then could go ahead and book your IBT. During your IBT you may drive one or two different style bikes and you might find one to your liking

Thanks all for the feeback, just to clarify its 2k for bike and tests.

I'll budget for gear seperately, trying to get most of it 2nd hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thanks all for the feeback, just to clarify its 2k for bike and tests.

I'll budget for gear seperately, trying to get most of it 2nd hand.

I don't think that's enough money really for both a decent bike, IBT and insurance. 4k is a more realistic figure without it becoming a death trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

I don't think that's enough money really for both a decent bike, IBT and insurance. 4k is a more realistic figure without it becoming a death trap.

Yeah, I'd put the extra bit of cash into it. For the sake of a couple of hundred quid you could be riding around on an ok bike or a beaut.
    You'll forget the extra few quid in a few weeks/months and be left with a MUCH nicer bike/gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Redkite

I'm new to biking and at the moment I'm looking for my first bike, to date I've spent €1400 on items like helmet 450, trousers and jacket 360, gloves 100, IBT 450, I also bought books and I'm using a good pair of hiking boots etc. I still have to buy and insure and pay road tax for a bike. The test in Sept. will be another €75. I'm sure there will be other bits and pieces that I need so it's not cheap to get started. I hope I didn't put a dampner on your new biking dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

I picked up a clean SV650, all my gear and insurance for 2600 euro.

There are good few clean bikes on donedeal for around 2k mark.

Lots of good feedback here, I have a much better idea now of whats involved

Thanks

Advertisement