Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Event] Challenge Roth - 08th July 2012

Options
  • 01-05-2012 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭

http://www.challenge-roth.com/en/

There seems to be about 40 Irish making the trip over from what i can make of the entry list and 3 boardsies i know of. I know a few from here have raced there previously so any course or general tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

http://www.challenge-roth.com/en/

There seems to be about 40 Irish making the trip over from what i can make of the entry list and 3 boardsies i know of. I know a few from here have raced there previously so any course or general tips would be greatly appreciated.

Green with envy!

Couple of random observations:

* Probably the largest tri in the world - there were approx 5,500 doing this last year, including relays, so it can get busy, particularly on the run, where it is single track in places.

* Heat on the run - although it wasn't too hot of a day, it was a furnace on the 1st 1/2 of the run, by the canal.

* Endless swim waves

*Split transition - was a bit of a nightmare to get your bike back at the end of the race

* Assuming you are staying in one of the cities (Nurenburg), it is a long hike to the race site, so no shuttlng back and forth.

* Registration took a long time - standing in a queue for 45 mins...

* medal from the pros - Despite just smashing the WR, Andreas Raelaert and Chrisse, were there to hand out medals in a monsoon.

* Solarerberg - Incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

- Be mentally prepared for the run, the Canal is endless, it just goes on and on and on with varying road surfaces

- Make sure your helmet is perfect - they will confiscate it, isnt that right Mr MCOS ;) !!

- If you are in a late wave start you can watch the pros through transition - Raelart et al were though in less than 30 secs :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

So someone who entered the sub nine wave with the intention of training but then didn't. Probably be 9:50 or so - should be move out of the sub nine wave or stick?

tunney wrote: »
    So someone who entered the sub nine wave with the intention of training but then didn't. Probably be 9:50 or so - should be move out of the sub nine wave or stick?

Assuming you will be there or thereabouts on the swim, I don't see a downside to sticking with the sub-9 wave.

Otherwise you might end up in the general population:)

Izoard wrote: »
    Assuming you will be there or thereabouts on the swim, I don't see a downside to sticking with the sub-9 wave.

Otherwise you might end up in the general population:)

Only a 64 I reckon. Emmmm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Only a 64 I reckon. Emmmm

I would assume the majority would be decent swimmers and would be far quicker in the water so unlikely to find feet to follow with a 64. In terms of bike it would be a lonely enough affair as again i would imagine most would be hitting splits probably 20-30mins faster than yourself.

I would assume the majority would be decent swimmers and would be far quicker in the water so unlikely to find feet to follow with a 64. In terms of bike it would be a lonely enough affair as again i would imagine most would be hitting splits probably 20-30mins faster than yourself.

Yeah, will get onto them tomorrow and get moved out I think.

Lonely? That's one thing you won't be with 5,500 people.

The problem will be understanding who you are racing with at any given time, given the waves.

Yeah, will get onto them tomorrow and get moved out I think.

Good don't want to miss out on the opportunity of slagging you as you drown yourself with a cup of water on the run:)

Izo etc how did you find the road surface and the bike course in general, fast? Am i correct in saying you done Austria? how would you compare the two?

Izoard wrote: »
    Lonely? That's one thing you won't be with 5,500 people.

The problem will be understanding who you are racing with at any given time, given the waves.

I was more thinking the number of people targeting the sub 9 is very low in the overall number of runners and i assume its the first wave off.

• Advertisement

Good don't want to miss out on the opportunity of slagging you as you drown yourself with a cup of water on the run:)

Izo etc how did you find the road surface and the bike course in general, fast? Am i correct in saying you done Austria? how would you compare the two?

Roads are perfect. Great surface, some sharp climbs with gentle descents, leading to high average speeds.

I did IMCH previously - equally good roads, but some messy descents...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

@Tunney, I'd move from the sub9 wave. As JB said to get a better draft on the swim. Also, to get into a good pace line on the bike.

Swim is easy up and down the canal. Just mind as you swim through an earlier wave, eg be courteous passing the ladies.

Start of bike is fast. Road surface mostly perfect. The only rough bit of road is some manhole covers about 5k in. Its a fast turn and you will see bales of hay. I'd advise coming off the bars just for this one turn. Bike fairly straight forward after that. A couple of hills and a long open drag but you wont feel it on lap 1. Solarerber incredible! Beer gardens funny and savage support.

Lap 2 getting warmer, you feel the hills a bit more, Solarerber quieter but still cool. Support generally superb. Last 20k of bike quick so don't worry if youare 0.5kmh off target as it will come back easy here.

T2 is the best transition ever. A volunteer or 2 per person. Faultless.

Lump in throat for first 2km of run. You will see why.

Run is endless river bank and it will get hot. No shade until you hit a bit of woods for a few kms. You will cool down here but legs will be feeling it. Once out of the woods "excuse the pun" you have about 10k to get home. Its bac onto the loose gravel bank for most o fit then some twists around Roth. Noise at the line epic.

Logistics. A bit crap for supporters as its hosted by 2 towns. Becomes a pain after the race when you have to queue for a bus back to T2. easy to get sucked into lots of walking around either side of the race.

Rent a car.
    Check you Helmet is perfect. Not even the slightest tear.
    You can practice swim on the Worthersee lake instead of the canal as the canal is restricted.
    Dinky little genuine Italian in Roth. Can't remember the name but its a small town and worth finding.

Superbly organised. Superbly supported. I'd do it again in a heartbeat

Advertisement