Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying an outsider in a Family Business

Options
  • 01-05-2012 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

A friend works for a small family business since last year and has been subject to constant harassment from one particular owning family member. They are not quite sure about the motive behind the sniping and harassment is but it has had a huge effect on my friend’s home life as I had to ask why they had been so different over the last few months. They come home upset a lot and have become very withdrawn compared to the person I knew last year.
    They have approached the boss several times but all that happens is that everything is okay for a while and it reverts back to normal again.
    They approached the boss again recently and mentioned the word “harassment” and he said that he didn’t want to hear it and that he was not standing in their way and that perhaps he should take over the manager’s position again.
    I am currently trying to get my friend to get legal advice but if you guys have any ideas, we would appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Get your friend to keep a diary of the harassment and bullying. Dates, times, what was said and by whom. Keep the log at home, NOT work!

I'd also strongly suggest that you get legal advice ASAP.

Good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Do they have a HR department and if not then tell your friend to look for a new job asap, I worked for a family run business with no HR dept, got bullied and there is nothing that could be done about it, ended up off on sick leave then left your health is more important tell your friend to get out while they can

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Irish Lion wrote: »
    They are not quite sure about the motive behind the sniping and harassment
    Irish Lion wrote: »
    They approached the boss again recently and mentioned the word “harassment” and he said that he didn’t want to hear it and that he was not standing in their way and that perhaps he should take over the manager’s position again.
    I'm taking your friend is the manager? Is the bully not a manager, but family of the boss? Would it be a possibility that your the bully resents your friend as an outsider took the managers job which the bully may have seen as theirs for the taking, as they're family?

Advertisement