Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand new to the sport

Options
  • 01-05-2012 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Completely new to the sport and hoping to get involved.

Have eyed up an Fuji Grand Fondo 3.0 in my LBS.

Its priced €1,600 for 105 mix spec and full ultegra rebuild for €2,000.

I was hoping someone could advise as to whether it is worth stretching the extra €400 for full ultegra given that Im only starting out

I understand it would cost a multiple of that to upgrade at a later stage.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

What's the 105 mix? Is that a mix of 105 and tiagra or a mix of 105 and ultegra? And which bits are which?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Completely new to the sport and hoping to get involved.

Have eyed up an Fuji Grand Fondo 3.0 in my LBS.

Its priced €1,600 for 105 mix spec and full ultegra rebuild for €2,000.

I was hoping someone could advise as to whether it is worth stretching the extra €400 for full ultegra given that Im only starting out

I understand it would cost a multiple of that to upgrade at a later stage.

Thanks
    No...€400 will get you the Pedals, Shoes, Helmet, Bib Shorts, Jersey, rain gear, spare tubes, etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

+1, it may not be popular but i'd perhaps even spend less on your first bike. I'd need to be certain i'd enjoy it, wnna stick with it etc before spending that sort of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    whether it is worth stretching the extra €400 for full ultegra

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Thanks everyone.

I shall take that as a reasoning no so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Sounds like a lot of cash to be dropping for someone "hoping to get involved" - what do you mean by that? Do you currently cycle at all? Are you hoping to race? Or tour? Or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

If thats what you can afford to spend on your first bike ,one word of advice
    GO FOR IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

kenmc wrote: »
    Sounds like a lot of cash to be dropping for someone "hoping to get involved" - what do you mean by that? Do you currently cycle at all? Are you hoping to race? Or tour? Or what?

Currently cycle to work on a Trek hybrid.

The new bike would be my daily commuter as well as longer weekend bike rides with the old man and friends.

Advertisement