Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

the "toy" camera

Options
  • 01-05-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭

just curious, are there any/many "toy" camera shooters out there. I know a camera is a camera so perhaps the toy classification is a misnomer but holgas, dianas, the recesky TLR, or anything else that is significantly made of plastic is what i'm talking about.

Many of the camera apps for your smartphone have an almost obligatory toy camera filter built in, so no doubt there is amazing popularity to it.

One of the photographic joys of the last year (not that there were many for me - i really should make more time) was the purchasing of a "holga" lens to stick on the front of the DSLR (probably not real holga as it was described, but it was plastic with shag all control of anything). It cost about €6 or €7 i think with postage included from china, hong kong, or somewhere like that.

It doesn't miraculously transform you into a serious retro wielding ninja photographer that the entire world will put above a Gursky, but surprisingly it is very rewarding (at least for me) in terms of the odd and imperfect image which you get out of it. Flippin dark to look into too - sometimes you are better to point and shoot without looking as you won't see anyway.

I find it to be fun and photography should be fun.

Once you've understood what it takes to make technically perfect images you may find that technical perfection is somewhat limited and well can be downright boring (yes, yawn..... :D)

I guess in many ways each to their own and it is likely that people may see them as trite so i'm just wondering what peoples attitudes to them are? Like em, or loathe them - all opinions are valid. Which have you that you love to take out on occasion (if any) or is it just plain stoopid for you :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

Eddie Mallin does some lovely holga stuff.
    AnCatDubh wrote: »
    just curious, are there any/many "toy" camera shooters out there. I know a camera is a camera so perhaps the toy classification is a misnomer but holgas, dianas, the recesky TLR, or anything else that is significantly made of plastic is what i'm talking about.

Many of the camera apps for your smartphone have an almost obligatory toy camera filter built in, so no doubt there is amazing popularity to it.

One of the photographic joys of the last year (not that there were many for me - i really should make more time) was the purchasing of a "holga" lens to stick on the front of the DSLR (probably not real holga as it was described, but it was plastic with shag all control of anything). It cost about €6 or €7 i think with postage included from china, hong kong, or somewhere like that.

It doesn't miraculously transform you into a serious retro wielding ninja photographer that the entire world will put above a Gursky, but surprisingly it is very rewarding (at least for me) in terms of the odd and imperfect image which you get out of it. Flippin dark to look into too - sometimes you are better to point and shoot without looking as you won't see anyway.

I find it to be fun and photography should be fun.

Once you've understood what it takes to make technically perfect images you may find that technical perfection is somewhat limited and well can be downright boring (yes, yawn..... :D)

I guess in many ways each to their own and it is likely that people may see them as trite so i'm just wondering what peoples attitudes to them are? Like em, or loathe them - all opinions are valid. Which have you that you love to take out on occasion (if any) or is it just plain stoopid for you :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I go through phases ...
    I've got one of those gakkenflex TLRs that the recesky yoke was based on:

4163512777_cd766b0b13_z.jpg

And a vivitar UWS:

3953793748_cb032d5d93_z.jpg

Do Brownies count as toy cameras ? Probably not, but then the Holga wasn't meant to be one initially, nor the Diana.
    5895535590_74c4456bd0_z.jpg

There is a kind of liberating freedom in knowing that you can't affect the outcome of the shot in any way whatsoever other than pointing the camera in some direction. One shutter speed, One aperture and that's that. When the old noggin is engaged and conditions are good they're all capable of some fine shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I bought a Holga lens for my cropped sensor SLR and I haven't used it much but I intend to. The lens is supposed to be f/8 but I think it's actually more like f/16!
    Not to be used on full-frame because the vignetting is very strong.

You have to manually focus and expose.

BTW, I really like that Eddie Mallin stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

Theres lots more of it on his site.
    kelly1 wrote: »
    BTW, I really like that Eddie Mallin stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

bullpost wrote: »
    Theres lots more of it on his site.

That's how I know I like it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

love 'em. the cheaper feeling and more plasticky the better. and no matter how much of it i read on the interweb, i'll never understand the point of view held by people who say ''what's the point? when we have cameras where you can control every aspect of the exposure, what's the point in that light-leaking un-focusable piece of plastic sh**?'' [i strongly suspect they weren't hugged enough as kids.]

i also have a 'toy' digital camera that is about the size of 110 film cartridge that does video with a resolution that'd give a few people on here a bad case of ocular pruritus. my latest purchase though - a sprocket rocket i got off adverts for 20 quid or something has left me bereft of joy though - some sort of shutter problem. quality control of these things isn't always consistent, but that's part of the point really.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

Got a Sprocket Rocket (after someone here got one) - pushed a few rolls through it, but there's a huge backlog in my C41 dev queue. Sometime in the next few weeks I'll see how things worked out.

I have a plastic TLR kit from deal extreme, but I don't think I've pushed a roll through it yet. Getting the shutter to work well was a problem. (And I know there's a thread on it here). Of the two kits I bought, the best bits went into a single camera for my nephew.

And come to think of it, I have a Chineese TLR, that took three months to arrive from China. Can't scan any of the output due to a crap flat scanner, but have put some rolls of 120 through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

artyeva wrote: »
    [i strongly suspect they weren't hugged enough as kids.]

i

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

I have a camera made of toy....

7C43534ED1C441DF8A278C81F228A35E-0000317779-0002420344-00640L-51B432F48A4047E1ABBEEB48BA2C2189.jpg

No focus control. Digital shutter speed control (literally, I move my digit from in front of the pinhole to start the exposure and put it back to stop it). No viewfinder. Minimal control over results other than what you point it at.

I love it.

And it has a gnome.

dakar wrote: »
    I have a camera made of toy....

/thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 DarraghCorrigan

I know that this is drifting away from the "toy" lenses, but if you look on ebay then you can usually pick up old M42 mount lenses for next to nothing, and an AF confirm adaptor for ~€20. Less if you go without the AF adaptor, although it allows for metering as well as focus confirmation, allowing you to use Aperture priority as well as full manual.
    The great thing about these lenses is the scope of quality, I have two at the moment, a Helios 44-4 (58mm f2), which is pin sharp and gives lovely bokeh and contrast (cost me €40 including the Zenit 12xp it was attached too), and at the other end of the scale, a Domiplan f2.8 50mm.
    The Domiplan has toy camera qualities ghosting, soft edges, reduced contrast, easily flares. But it also has fully adjustable aperture and focus, so you can have all the Holga effects, with nice DoF and short shutter speeds (I think Holga is f11?).
    Definitely have a look at some M42 lenses, they are an addiction!

Here are some examples of the Helios 44-4:
    6843706976_d65549d68d_z.jpg

6989829333_0bb060695a_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Only recently received a Holga, €22 delivered from Hongkong, and have put a couple of rolls through it. A tripods a must,even though it weights nothing,and with 1 shutter speed (125) and two claimed apertures, F8 and 11, I've shot mostly on bulb. It's an adventure using it.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/77491263@N04/6978396132/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Why?

erm... why what?

why title it 'through imperfect glass'? a reference to the lens used which strictly speaking isn't even glass but i know what i mean ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

erm... why what?

why title it 'through imperfect glass'? a reference to the lens used which strictly speaking isn't even glass but i know what i mean ;)

No, not why title it that - just why use imperfect glass? I fail to see the point of it. When I was a kid I used a cheap camera (and that's not yesterday) and was amazed when I got a picture of any description. But I grew up, moved on and could afford a decent camera (and glass) - so I don't want to go back to poor quality photographs (at least not intentional ones - I know I produce a lot of Cr%$).

I don't mean to be insulting or derogatory - I just don't undertstand the logic of the whole toy camera thing! Maybe I'm a philistine :-)

recursive thread is recursive :eek:

recursive thread is recursive :eek:

gah, we've just been moderated from the random thread :o

I ask, is there no fear respect left with these forum moderators anymore.

/upstarts i tells ya :pac:

(that said, I like recursion. You can lose yourself for lifetimes in them :D)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    that's a lot of smileys i know. :confused:

Advertisement