Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions - Magpul G&P M4 MOE - GOOD & BAD PLEASE!!

Options
  • 30-04-2012 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey lads,

Just looking for anyones views on the Magpul G&P M4 MOE good or bad?
    If you have upgraded the M4, What did you upgrade?

Thinking of getting one and i hear both extremes you see.
    Thanks in advance lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

customPC wrote: »
    Hey lads,

Just looking for anyones views on the Magpul G&P M4 MOE good or bad?
    If you have upgraded the M4, What did you upgrade?

Thinking of getting one and i hear both extremes you see.
    Thanks in advance lads

The G&P MOE is one georgous M4 and yes I have worked on a few and it is a superb gearbox and I personally think it is probally the best finished inside out there
    Now having said that I also have replaced 2 gearsets due to the shaft on the sector gear shearing in two and i have only ever seen 1 other gearset do the same thing and that was the other day and it was the shaft on the spur gear that went

The only upgrade that the MOE may need is a tight bore barrel and a hop-up rubber to improve both accuracy and range other then that I think they are just about perfect but then again I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭customPC

Hey deburca,
    ya a buddy of mine put in ab mosfet, ultimate hop up with guarder clear and tight bore and loves it, but heard a few things about gears and pistons but these people were using 11.1 lipo's which was probably shredding the insides

Hey deburca,
    ya a buddy of mine put in ab mosfet, ultimate hop up with guarder clear and tight bore and loves it, but heard a few things about gears and pistons but these people were using 11.1 lipo's which was probably shredding the insides

I would not use a 11.1 lipo in any standard gearbox mosfet or no without doing a bit of work to it first

i have heard that before alright but people expect them to be indestructable dont they

i have heard that before alright but people expect them to be indestructable dont they

Yes people expect a lot, but it is harder to do in a 1joule area because of the power limits we have to use a spring that propels the piston slower then people in an different country and so with the xtra motor speed from the 11.1 lip the sector gear is often around before the piston has completed its forward travel and then things go bump in the night or your gearbox for that matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

great gun! as the guys said tight bore barrel and a guarder are all you really need. it comes with 6.04mm barrel anyway i think.

ive recently replaced 90% of my gearbox coz it broke. sector gear shaft gone, piston sstripped aswell as the sector gear and it broke a chunk out of my piston head. so yea its moreless rebuilt haha

anyway dont let that put you off. the one i have is one of the first models and ive heard G&P have fixed the shaft problems since. oh and if anyone says anything about there pistons they are great! rather than having your gearbox break aload of stuff in it, the piston breaks.easy 20 euro fix
    unfortunatly i had reinforced piston in it at the time of my troubles.

to be honest its the best stock performing gun ive bought. just make sure you pick the right colour as mine will soon be gone as i bought a full tan one and im not a fan :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Great aeg - but like all of them there are specific issues.
    I've heard similar things about the shafts on the sector and spur gears - but these generally came from people insistent on using 11.1v lipos and spraying everything in full auto (like a boss).

I haven't had this happen to me - but I have had two g&p gearboxs lock up on me, requiring opening the gearbox to 'reset'.

Externals are fantastic (I remember getting the MOE M4 and noting that the barrel had the correct markings denoting the barrel twist! Now that's attention to detail!!) - but I have seen the occasional issue (like a slight gap between the upper and lower receiver due to the tab not being perfectly aligned. Nothing that can't be sorted ... but annoying.

I'd recommend g&p aegs - someone always has an issue with each aeg manufacturer - I've heard people moan about classic army, call G&G rubbish and complain about VFC self shimming gears - none are perfect. You're unlikely to have serious issues with a g&p - but if you do it is a matter of replacing gears/internals - you'll always have the same external build quality.

I rate VFC highest for externals - but as these are increasingly harder to find these days (specifically their KAC SR-16, which I've been trying to find for ages) your next best bet is g&p.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I essentially built one of these of a G&G base gun. I was nearly sick all over myself wen I saw a G&P version in Hoby or essentially a little les then what I paid.

But as said above as I started googling and reading forums with reviews it appears that en mass there is general issues wth the gearbox.

Sorry but whileit may look the busines Im not into pqying big mony for a gun that has the simplest of technical faults. And ive leared that through harsh lessons with G&P before.

Was going to sell my G&G and pick this up , but Ive decided to kep mine and jst do the lst touches of a new inner barreland metal body.

Im yet to have a hickup with the G&G gearbox and I sold enough of them to know they rarely have issues

I agree with the comments about fnish etc absolutely gorgous looking and feel orck solid

Thanks for feedback lads. Tis appreciated.
    Anyone else that comes along please leave some feed back be it good or bad.
    Thanks again

Advertisement