Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you see any gigs in Dublin in the early Seventies?

Options
  • 30-04-2012 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I wonder if any of you were at the first few gigs I saw as a young teenager in Dublin in the early Seventies. The first one I went to (Sept 1972) was Lindisfarne/Rab Noakes/Genesis at the Stadium, then there was Slade at the Stadium, Curved Air at the newly opend Fillmore West in Bray, and Family (my all time favourite band) at the same venue.

Family didn't turn up on the Saturday - it was January and their ferry was cancelled. The support band, Cromwell, did a full set instead (has anyone heard of Cromwell? I'm sure Paul Brady was in them but I have never heard anything about them since). Then on the Monday Family showed up and played. The Fillmore didn't last long as a rock venue.

What were your early-70s gig experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I don't get to say this very often, but I'm too young for this thread! :)

(My first gig was 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Brendan Jabbers

I do have feelings, you know! I was born in 1957, so my first gig was at 15. I must have been more resourceful and adventurous than I am now, making my way from Dun Laoghaire to the Stadium by public transport. Memories of those times are all the more fascinating to me because the place has changed so much. The last time I was there I saw that Pat Egan's Sound Cellar was still going - I got my photograph taken under the sign. I spent many hours there agonising over which LP to buy while Pat held court from behind the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭RayCon

Pat Egan's Sound Cellar was still going - .

Still is .... although it's been Tommy Tighes Sound Cellar since the late 80's (approx)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

I'm going to give You a boost Brendan Jabbers:-))

The first 2 You mention, I was also at...got to say the Lindisfarne/Genesis gig was AWESOME. I also was at the Slade gig, and the atmosphere was great for that gig also.

Others I was at then? Alan Stivell was a regular in town, as were the Chieftains. I also used go into Dublin to O'Donoghue's in Baggot St. to see Skid Row often...think it was a Thursday they were regulars at.

I also saw Mike Oldfield in Macroom once, and recall going to the Mardyke (?) to see Rory Gallagher.MO's gig was not the best Gig I was ever at, but still always was, always will be a fan of Mike's.

Not getting any younger so have to think of others. Good thread though.

I was at a GREAT gig in the O2 last Friday, but thats for another thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭stanley1

Zeppelin in the stadium, march '71, awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

stanley1 wrote: »

They played Ireland? I did not know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I`ll gladly say I`m too old for this thread too, although I think I may have caught the end of the 70s for my first gig.

It was Toyah live in the RDS:pac: Not sure if it was late 70s or very early 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

stanley1 wrote: »

Wow, "Biggest band in the world" era as well. I could imagine they were awesome.

Advertisement