Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women of the 1916 rising

Options
  • 30-04-2012 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭

Arising out of the thread discussing Countess Markievicz there is an interesting discussion on the role of women in the 1916 rising.
    MarchDub wrote: »
    .... book, The Women of 1916, which is safely in my keeping :) - written by Ruth Taillon, she gives details of almost 200 women who were involved in various ways in the 1916 Rising. And she is rightly critical of how women have been left out of the historical narrative.
    Over the intervening years, much of the historical and political analysis of the Rising has been reduced to a sterile debate between on the one hand those who have elevated the 1916 leaders to mythic status and the 'revisionists' who have used historical discourse as a means to attack modern day republicanism. In both cases the result has often been to create a caricature of the 1916 rebels - ... Likewise where the participation of women in the Rising has been acknowledged, it too has been largely reduced to caricature and stereotype.

In her intro Tallion attacks, rightly so in my opinion, the many historians who have ignored the role of women and the part they played in the Rising. She gives as an example Desmond Ryan whose account had the title The Complete Story of Easter Week yet only gives one paragraph - albeit complementary - to the role of women :
    Pearse regarded the activities of the women in Easter Week with intense admiration. It was due to his influence as much as MacDonagh's and Connolly's that the Proclamation formally recognised the right of woman's suffrage in a free Ireland. Until almost the end the Cumann na mBan shared the dangers, the fire, the bullets, all the ordeal of the fighters, in the most dangerous areas, on the barricades, through the bullet-swept streets and the quay-sides, carrying dispatches, explosives, and ammunition through the thick of the fray, assisting in the hospital, cooking, and in some cases, approaching the British military posts to deliver warnings from Pearse that the Red Cross posts of the insurgents had been fired on by British snipers - while in the end it was a woman who marched out to initiate the final negotiations.
    Taillon also addresses the fact that
    "Constance Markievicz is afforded only a total of five sentences in the entire book".
    Taillon states that she writes because of what she calls
    "the shabby treatment by historians of the 1916 women is one reason this book is necessary".
    It seems this may be consistant on many 1916 histories. Tim Pat Coogans book on 1916 only makes passing reference to Markievievicz, I dont think there were even 5 mentions (don't have it to hand).

So the more general involvement of women in the 1916 Rising is opened by the book quoted.
    Maybe we need to spin off this thread to cover all the women of 1916?
    The manufacture of bombs for use in a rising began in 1915. Dozens of enthusiastic women and girls worked, during their spare time, at various tasks connected with the manufacture of cartridges, bullets and bombs. The whole basement of Liberty Hall became one big munitions works.
    Armaments were stockpiled all over the city. Even though it was under constant surveillance, Constance Markievicz’s house contained all sort of weapons, hidden in every possible place. Nora Foley, a member of a Dublin republican family, described how her Fairview home too, was a ‘regular arsenal of bombs which had been made on the premises, dynamite, gelignite, rifles bayonets, ammunition and what not’.

Eilis Ui Chonail tells how for some time small arms were imported from Sheffield labelled as ‘cutlery’. A shipment was discovered in Dublin port and Dublin Castle was informed, but in the meantime Volunteer headquarters was also notified. Three members of Cumann na mBan rushed to the scene and saved the entire shipment of 110 revolvers and ammunition.
    Again, I typed the above out of the Ruth Taillon book.
    The discussion would seem to be necessary if the context is it being ignored or simply overlooked is some records. There were women combatants at almost all the 1916 sites other than Bolands mill where De Valera turned them away, this being another part of the discussion. Cumann na mBan had been formed in 1913 and their constitution made reference to teaching "its members first aid, drill, signalling and rifle practice in order to aid the men of Ireland", i.e. they saw what was coming. Even the symbol at the top of their constitution shows a firearm- This symbol was repeated in their medals for war of independence later.
    Source- Cumann%20Na%20mBan%20Constitution.jpghttp://www.theeasterrising.eu/150CumannNamBan/CumannnamBan.htm

Unfortunately I do not have a better image of this constitution to better read. I can see from this that their main objective was the complete separation of Ireland from foreign rule, my point being it is far from the cottages industry and homestead movement.
    Several aspects of female participation should be of interest, from the participation in actions.

Were they involved in the fighting or was it more traditional roles (nursing, etc)?
    Why did Dev not allow women at Bolands, or is this overplayed?
    If the role of women has been downplayed then why is that? History is history so why omit this part.

There are a wide range of sources & first hand accounts availiable on the 1916 Rising so it is preferable to use these if possible to support opinions. Thanks for any participation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

I found the following article by Tom Clonan of the Dublin Institute of Technology - it describes women as 'insurgents' suggesting more than a passive, tea making or nursing role.

The Forgotten Role of Women Insurgents in The
    1916 Rising

War is normally spoken of in the exclusively masculine sense – particularly by those with no experience of combat. Historical accounts of war tend to describe conflict almost solely in terms of male participation as combatants - thus reinforcing the myth of combat as an exclusively male preserve.

In a similar vein – despite the de facto role that women have always played in war and combat - the current debate around our commemoration of the Easter Rising consists of a highly gendered discussion on reclaiming a legitimate remembrance of this problematic event from certain ‘men’ of violence who would no doubt purport to trace a direct lineage to the ‘men’ of 1916 or even the ‘men’ of 1798.

The almost uniform references in this debate to the ‘men’ of 1916 masks the direct role – as combatants - that women played in the liberation of the state. In the current debate on the true meaning of the impending 1916 commemoration ceremonies, it is imperative - for our fullest understanding of the true significance of the Easter Rising - to acknowledge the role that women played in it.

Contemporary accounts suggest that up to ninety women participated in the citywide rebellion of Easter 1916. Sixty or so were members of Cumann na mBan. Established in 1913 by a female committee, the constitution of Cumann na mBan – aside from a comprehensive commitment to an equality agenda – contained explicit references to the use of force by arms against crown forces in Ireland. Under its constitution, the primary aim of the organisation was to ‘Advance the cause of Irish liberty’ and ‘To teach its members First Aid, Drill, Signalling and Rifle Practice in order to aid the men of Ireland’.

Weapons training became an integral part of Cumann na mBan’s core activities. For example, in addition to the rifle training mentioned in their constitution, documents held at Military Archives in Dublin show Cumann na mBan members including a Ms. Lily O’ Connor to have been ‘highly proficient’ in the use of a wide range of weapons including Webley, Colt and Smith and Wesson revolvers.
    http://arrow.dit.ie/aaschmedart/49/

Cumann na mBan published a newspaper, Bean Na h-Eireann. I'm trying to find some online sources for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Cumann na mBan published a newspaper, Bean Na h-Eireann. I'm trying to find some online sources for that.
    I saw this newspaper but when I looked into it it seemed to be come earlier than the Cumann na mban organisation. There is some good information on the evolution of newspapers in relation to female involvement here- http://theirishrepublic.wordpress.com/tag/cumann-na-mban/
    Published between 1908 and 1911, Bean na hEireann (The Woman of Ireland) stood for the ‘freedom for Our Nation and the complete removal of all disabilities to our sex’. It would describe itself in a later issue as ‘the first and only Nationalist Woman’s paper’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

I saw this newspaper but when I looked into it it seemed to be come earlier than the Cumann na mban organisation. /

Yes, it was earlier but that's because it was originally the publication of Inghinidhe na hEireann [from 1908] which got absorbed into the Cumann in 1914. I think it had publication later than that date? But it would be an interesting source anyway on the position/views of Irish women if we could find it on line. I have some of Maud Gonne's contributions but only in text form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Are there any accounts of fighting and killing by the Women in 1916 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dr.Nightdub

There was a documentary on Kathleen Lynn on TG4 a while back, nearly sure that showed her in a combatant role. it's probably on You-Tube.

• Advertisement

A recent story in the Irish Times refers to comments made in relation to De Valera's treatment of cumann na mban volunteers in 1916.
    “Éamon de Valera once remarked to a researcher that women were ‘the boldest and most unmanageable revolutionaries’,” added Dr Margaret Ward in the lecture on Wednesday night, at Stranmillis College, on the women’s movement from 1910-1922.

“Was he haunted by the fact that women from Cumann na mBan had assembled for service outside his Boland’s Mill outpost in 1916, only to be told by him, the commander of the outpost, to go home as this was no place for women?” asked Dr Ward, director of the Women’s Resource and Development Agency in Belfast.

“The Easter Week proclamation had affirmed women’s equal rights and Irish suffragist Hanna Sheehy-Skeffington declared that it was the first time that men fighting for freedom had voluntarily included women,” she said.

“Feminist hopes were high in 1916, but in the aftermath of defeat and, in particular, the loss of James Connolly, who had given wholehearted and unequivocal support to the Irish suffragettes, republican and feminist women were confronted with a much less egalitarian future,” she added.

“The final defeat of their hopes came with the Irish Constitution of 1937 – so much of which reflected the personal philosophy of Éamon de Valera – which insisted that women’s place was in the home,” said Dr Ward. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0427/1224315234076.html
    Poor Dev- he inflicted most casualties on the British but still gets criticised.
    The mention of Connollys loss would seem important in this. He had previously written about the use of labour unity of men and women being used for nationalist aims. It seems the role of women in the lockout may have shown to him the value that could be brought by involvement of both sexes.
    The labour movement was proving to be a meeting-ground for women who, though always amicable, were divided on the issue of whether national independence or the franchise should come first. http://www.workersliberty.org/node/5204

Poor Dev- he inflicted most casualties on the British but still gets criticised.

Leaving the Aras for the final time he went to Bolands Mills.

On Madame Markievicz & him, she accompanied him to the Dail in 1927and her participation in Fianna Fail seemed very important to him.

Otherwise, is there a list of the 1916 Women and did any get Medal's i.e. did they get recognised and get pensions etc ????

CDfm wrote: »
    Leaving the Aras for the final time he went to Bolands Mills.

On Madame Markievicz & him, she accompanied him to the Dail in 1927and her participation in Fianna Fail seemed very important to him.

Otherwise, is there a list of the 1916 Women and did any get Medal's i.e. did they get recognised and get pensions etc ????

Yes, women were issused with medals, my grandmother, member of the Citizens Army, and later IRA, got the 1916 medal, and Tan medal (with bar), and recived an army pension.

Yes, women were issused with medals, my grandmother, member of the Citizens Army, and later IRA, got the 1916 medal, and Tan medal (with bar), and recived an army pension.

I am glad to hear that.

The Witness Statement's are due to go on-line shortly.
    Military Archives regrets to announce that due to technical IT difficulties there will be a delay in the online release of the Bureau of Military History, 1913-1921 Witness Statements,

http://www.militaryarchives.ie/news-events/single-view/article/delay-in-online-release-of-bureau-of-military-history-witness-statements?cHash=440e8dd660ff569a0ddd1557a8eca10f

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dr.Nightdub

• Advertisement

I found the following article by Tom Clonan of the Dublin Institute of Technology - it describes women as 'insurgents' suggesting more than a passive, tea making or nursing role.

The role that these women carried out is worth looking into further. I like your phrase "passive", I was wary of being sexist with my description of 'traditional' role in OP and yes I meant tea making, etc, but what I really want to know is what exactly the roles were. Who was armed, who were messengers, who did what basically. Its not all encompassing but I have tried to get some details of individual women and their roles as follows taken from mostly opinion pieces.

Margaret Skinnider took part in the rising in St. Stephens green. She was a scout for this garrison. She was hospatilised after being wounded on the wednesday and is given credit for bravery. From http://www.labour.ie/download/pdf/seven_women_of_the_labour_movement1916.pdf

Helena Molony was part of the attack on Dublin castle and was armed during the attack. From http://www.historytoday.com/charles-townshend/soldiers-are-we-women-irish-rising

Rose McNamara led women at the Marrowbone Lane Distillery. They refused to recant their stand at the expense of arrest. Many of the women there had acted as 'loaders' for the riflemen. From http://www.easter1916.ie/index.php/people/women/ and http://www.historytoday.com/charles-townshend/soldiers-are-we-women-irish-rising

Winny Carney was in the GPO. She acted as secretary to Connolly and having brought her typewriter with her she typed orders out for the various garrisons around Dublin. A large number of the dispatch carriers were also women. From pg 44, 'Dublin 1916: The Siege of the GPO' by Clair Wills.

Madeleine ffrench Mullen was also at St. Stephens green.
    Her duties included overseeing the
    commandeering of vehicles, removing civilians from the area, guarding the
    entrances to the Green and tending the wounded. http://www.labour.ie/download/pdf/seven_women_of_the_labour_movement1916.pdf

Molly Reynolds was at St. Stephens green and also the GPO. She described some of the women at the GPO being moved to the more traditional kitchen duties when men were availiable to do the other roles. from http://www.historytoday.com/charles-townshend/soldiers-are-we-women-irish-rising

Kathleen Lynn delivered medical supplies to the various garrisons around the city. When Sean Connolly was killed at the City Hall she played a role in leading the remaining insurgents their until being overpowered by the British the next morning. From page 134 & 135 of 'Mná Na HÉireann: Women who Shaped Ireland' by Nicola Depuis.

Someone asked earlier for a list of 1916 women. I think most participants, male and female are here http://irishmedals.org/gpage.html

What organizations did they belong to ?

I am sort of thinking "gene pool" here and I wonder if seperately we could do post rising and what they went on to do.

What organizations did they belong to ?

I am sort of thinking "gene pool" here and I wonder if seperately we could do post rising and what they went on to do.

The ICA had 28 women in the rising.

Most of the women participants were Cumman na mBan. THey had drilled since their formation. At some stage I read that they saw part of the revolution as the battle for womens rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Very interesting thread OP! Chapter 2 of my undergrad thesis was actually based on women in 1916....

Are there any accounts of fighting and killing by the Women in 1916 ?

There are quite a few accounts around. But to be honest they are very hard to find. Before i even started my thesis i spent close to a month trying to find primary and secondary texts with regards the Rising and the Lockout.

If you look at the Witness Statements in the National Archives you will find many relating to women. There are nearly 2000 of them about 80% if not 90% percent are relating to men. I spent well over a week trying to narrow down all the statements by women.

Read Margaret Skinnider's autobiography Doing my bit for Ireland. She was an excellent sniper in the Rising, being based in Stephens Green and later in the Royal College of Surgeons. In her own words, this describes how accurate she was..
    More than once i saw the man i aimed at fall

If you are interested in the rest of the sources i used for my thesis let me know and i can send it on to you if you would like? :)

That is a very interesting book! If you liked that one i suggest looking at
    In their own voice Women and Irish Nationalism by Margaret Ward.
    She takes extracts from personal stories and accounts of all the wars and political debates in the first half of the 20th Century.

41jj-74Pn%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/In-Their-Own-Voice-Nationalism/dp/1855941015
    The ICA had 28 women in the rising.

Most of the women participants were Cumman na mBan. They had drilled since their formation. At some stage I read that they saw part of the revolution as the battle for womens rights.

Im not too sure if at one point some of them thought of it as a battle for women's rights. I know that at the time, there was an argument between suffragettes. Some of them believed that suffrage should come first and then the other suffragettes like Markievicz believed that if women were to get the vote, they should get it from their own government not an alien one..

Connolly believed in equal rights for women and he did treat women fairly. When the plans were set and preparations were underway, Connolly did allow women to join under the condition that they join in on all drills and marches.

This is an extract from a book i found in the National Library called
    Dublin 1916 edited my Roger McHugh. They are excerpts from men and women who took part in the Rising.
    They took part in all marches, and even in the manoeuvres that lasted all night. Moreover, Connolly made it quite clear to us that unless we took our share in the drudgery of training and preparing, we should not be allowed to take any share at all in the fight

I came across this medal awarded to Annie Barrett of Galway for her role in the rising. It is being sold at this site http://theirishwar.com/original-irish-militaria-irish-war-of-independence-medals/1916-easter-rising-medal-awarded-to-annie-barrett-athenry-co-galway/ with a price of just under €4000.
    hhh%20005.JPG

The Cumman na mban medal from the war of independence is more distinctive but I don't know was it the same for 1916.
    Badge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

some free online resources re the Easter Rising, including the Margaret Skinnider book, can be found here :

http://www.digitalbookindex.com/_search/search010hstirelandrebellion1916a.asp

Advertisement