Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video streaming question

Options
  • 30-04-2012 1:12pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, we've a new xbox360 in the house now, our first and I have it connected to the PC for streaming videos & music.
    Most are working great but I've a ton of videos in mp4 format and some in avi format that just wont play on it.
    Do I need to get software to convert them to wmv, and if so is there one that can be recommended?
    Or is it possible that updated codecs will do the job? If so, how do I install them?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

MP4 should work. Look for Optional Media Update on the marketplace which will give you all the codecs that the Xbox currently runs.

AVI isn't supported. I use Format Factory to convert them. It's free and works pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

TVersity will transcode them on the fly if needed. The update that Orim mentioned should actually allow alot of avi files to play too, assuming they are xvid or divx.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Do you need an xboxlive subscription to get the updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

No

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Thanks a lot for your help guys, will have a bash at getting the updates later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I use ps3mediaserver (I know, I know!) but it does work. Never had a problem with avi's or mp4's.

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/

Advertisement