Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 year old dental issues

Options
  • 30-04-2012 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Took DS to a dentist recently and it turns out he has a lot of decay and some cavities. One which is particularly bad.
    She has recommended that she do all his work under a GA which would be a lot less traumatic for him and it's all done in one go.
    She's quoting me 3500-3800.
    Have taken him for a 2nd opinion, dentist agreed with the original assessment and said he would have referred DS to the original dentist for some of the work.
    Visited the HSE dentist, they don't fill baby teeth, it's not their policy (lack of resources) and can't really do anything for him apart from dressing the bad cavity.
    She is suggesting pulp treatment, about 6 fillings, and stainless steel caps. They are all his baby teeth.
    What on earth should I do? My first instinct is to get it all done and dusted in one go, but that's a lot of money we don't have.
    edited for terrible spelling!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

rubywoo wrote: »
    Took DS to a dentist recently and it turns out he has a lot of decay and some cavities. One which is particularly bad.
    She has recommended that she do all his work under a GA which would be a lot less traumatic for him and it's all done in one go.
    She's quoting me 3500-3800.
    Have taken him for a 2nd opinion, dentist agreed with the original assessment and said he would have referred DS to the original dentist for some of the work.
    Visited the HSE dentist, they don't fill baby teeth, it's not their policy (lack of resources) and can't really do anything for him apart from dressing the bad cavity.
    She is suggesting pulp treatment, about 6 fillings, and stainless steel caps. They are all his baby teeth.
    What on earth should I do? My first instinct is to get it all done and dusted in one go, but that's a lot of money we don't have.
    edited for terrible spelling!

Took me a while to figure out what DS was...!

AFAIK, the HSE will see a child for extractions of primary teeth under GA if necessary. There is a decent waiting list for this but can be jumped if in pain or infection.
    True- it is their policy not to fill primary teeth!! What goon came up with that one?? Just because they are primary teeth and will be replaced does not mean that they are unnecessary and irrelevent... A lot of orthodontic problems can be prevented by maintaining a good set of primary teeth...

Best advice is to have the treatment done and privately is your only realistic option. Being a 7 year old, an experienced paediatric dentist would be best to do a lot of work. They work under local, gas or general anaesthesia. A lot of the fee quoted is for the anaesthetic and hospital fee....

Another thiing to consider is the reason for all this dental disease and need for treatment. Most likely this is as a result of frequent sugar intake (snacks and drinks). The best fillings and stainless steel crowns will fail if the diet issues are not addressed and that surely would be a waste of money then....

Good luck,
    OS

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rubywoo

Hi OS, thank you for your honest opinion, I do appreciate it.

I ended up booking the surgery today, I feel it's the less traumatic route for him. You are right, a good chunk of that fee is the clinic fee and the anesthitest (sp?!) fees. It's with a paediatric dentist and done under GA.

Regarding diet, yes I got the lecture. Well deserved and did open my eyes. I did think we were doing well regarding bans on fizzy drinks and sugary cereals, brushing, flossing, mouthwash etc. But no harm to step it up a bit.
    Thanks again!

Advertisement