Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worktops

Options
  • 30-04-2012 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

anybody here have any ideas on worktops.mine is after losing its shine.it is still in good condition so dont want to replace it ,its a black laminate type.anyone ever paint over with clear varnish or simaliar.:confused:
    cost to replace would be 2full lenghts + labour = €400+

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

upderebels wrote: »
    anybody here have any ideas on worktops.mine is after losing its shine.it is still in good condition so dont want to replace it ,its a black laminate type.anyone ever paint over with clear varnish or simaliar.:confused:
    cost to replace would be 2full lenghts + labour = €400+

To be honest i think painting them would not be a great idea...couldn't see any paint or varnish looking great.
    Heres a site i found on a google search...

http://budgetdecorating.about.com/od/kitchendecor/ht/Laminate_Paint.htm

Still wouldn't advise thou.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) It depends on what you want to do. Is it to give it a 'fresh' gloss finish ?
    You could try some automotive lacquer sprey ( not polyurethane ) but I've no experience personally of this.
    I'm shopping for black worktops at the moment and you won't get cheaper than Ikea - you might consider it worth paying the labour if the tops are cheap ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

No matter what finish your going to apply to ye laminate worktop it will last feck all time. It won't stand up to the abuse worktops get. Pure waste of money and you end up regretting it and replacing the worktops in the end. You light as well do it right now rather then spending extra money in the end.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Try a bit of car rubbing compound in an inconspicuous place and then wax it and see what it comes up like.

Advertisement