Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

headsets for walkie talkies

Options
  • 30-04-2012 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    so my team have been looking at getting walkie talkies and we finally decided on a set but now the question is. where can I get decent headsets?
    what are people using? We're looking for, preferably headsets that will set on our head but only have one ear covered and a mic that comes infront of our mouths so we can hear and speak clearly. The ones that are supplied with most walkie talkies are grand for a while but the ear pieces always fall out as they're the same style as the ones supplied with MP3's/IPODs etc.

Thanks everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Since I was in a hurry to buy radios & headsets for last year's Rionegro (I mistakenly read that they were a prerequisite for playing), I ended up with a throat mic from GameStop that works surprisingly well!

The sound quality is decent (believe me, it ends there), but works excellently for my face/eye protection set up. I always wear a lower mesh mask, and to make matters more difficult it's one of the ones with the ear covers. So headsets are limited - the throat mic has the in-ear piece (tape holds that in place), and the mic itself is out of the way. My neck is just the right size so it doesn't seem to displace itself.

Plus, I couldn't argue with the price - picked 'em up for €10 a piece. So weighing it up against the money spent, yeah...I'm happy :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Inari wrote: »
    Since I was in a hurry to buy radios & headsets for last year's Rionegro (I mistakenly read that they were a prerequisite for playing), I ended up with a throat mic from GameStop that works surprisingly well!

The sound quality is decent (believe me, it ends there), but works excellently for my face/eye protection set up. I always wear a lower mesh mask, and to make matters more difficult it's one of the ones with the ear covers. So headsets are limited - the throat mic has the in-ear piece (tape holds that in place), and the mic itself is out of the way. My neck is just the right size so it doesn't seem to displace itself.

Plus, I couldn't argue with the price - picked 'em up for €10 a piece. So weighing it up against the money spent, yeah...I'm happy :cool:

our sniper has a throat mic and it doesn't work too well but for a tenner I may just try it :)
    Thanks Kev

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

T4RGET wrote: »
    our sniper has a throat mic and it doesn't work too well but for a tenner I may just try it :)
    Thanks Kev

The only thing to note is that they do not feature a PTT button, so you need to use the radio's inbuilt one. Which may be an annoyance.

Throat mic's are notorious for being troublesome - they can swing about and move out of place quite easily. They are much the same as drop leg holsters in a way - some can use them without issue, or at least grin and bear it...others cannot.

For me, as I said, the price was right and it suited. For others, there's no beating a Bowman!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

You'll pick up a standard ptt (push to talk) box and headset from the Asian retailers for about 50 quid - or I think Bray Airsoft have some but not sure of the price.
    I've used a simple Motorola + military plug ptt box and swimmer headset (similar to those used in generation kill if you've seen that series) for two years now - without issues or problems.
    Wires are not a problem if you work them into/secure them to your vest. The headset stops 'spill' of your radio chatter outside the headset - but as its close fitting and rubber it does get sweaty in summer during longer games.

thanks for all the info lads, it's really helping, also I heard of a friend that there's a place in dublin that does radio's etc, small little shop? any one know what my mate was talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

Try these guys

http://www.axessinternational.com

They do lots of headsets/ear-pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

I have been using binatone radios I got in aldi a few years back for about 50 quid and I use a throat mic for the xbox because the radios have VOX which is voice activation so you dont need PTT. they also have 9 main channels and a rake of sub cahannnels that can also be coded for security and also they are waterproof. them throat mics are in tesco for 15 at the moment

sharpy2010 wrote: »
    I have been using binatone radios I got in aldi a few years back for about 50 quid and I use a throat mic for the xbox because the radios have VOX which is voice activation so you dont need PTT. they also have 9 main channels and a rake of sub cahannnels that can also be coded for security and also they are waterproof. them throat mics are in tesco for 15 at the moment

yeah we're getting binatone 950's

blindsider wrote: »
    Try these guys

http://www.axessinternational.com

They do lots of headsets/ear-pieces.

I'll have a look, you ever use them?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭mafiaboy

iv been using for years this place.. expert communications on clonbrassil street email address expertcommunicationsco@yahoo.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

sharpy2010 wrote: »
    Using VOX generally blocks out the channel you are on unless it is an expensive set up. In practice the PTT is better.

+1 on Dogwatch's point above.

Wherever I've been playing with someone using VOX, what generally happens is that that person is constantly on, blocking comms for everyone - all you hear is panting, swearing and background noise. Hugely annoying.

Comms work best when the messages are short, specific, necessary and clear. With a PTT set up it forces you to stop and think before spamming comms - which ultimately makes the use of your radio more effective.

I still have to see a better set up for airsoft that beats a simple Motorola to PTT to cavalry headset setup.

A final piece of advice (and I've given the same advice to anyone who has asked me about comms setup) - make sure that the PTT box that you select is designed to make sure that you can't accidently press the talk button. This is the model I use:
    http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/combat-gears/headsets/z-tactical-tci-tactical-headset-cable-and-ptt.html
    It's bigger than some ptt boxes, but the button is sunk into the housing and the only way you can hit 'send' is if you intend to do so. It's 'crawling through undergrowth' friendly.

+1 on Dogwatch's point above.

Wherever I've been playing with someone using VOX, what generally happens is that that person is constantly on, blocking comms for everyone - all you hear is panting, swearing and background noise. Hugely annoying.

Comms work best when the messages are short, specific, necessary and clear. With a PTT set up it forces you to stop and think before spamming comms - which ultimately makes the use of your radio more effective.

I still have to see a better set up for airsoft that beats a simple Motorola to PTT to cavalry headset setup.

A final piece of advice (and I've given the same advice to anyone who has asked me about comms setup) - make sure that the PTT box that you select is designed to make sure that you can't accidently press the talk button. This is the model I use:
    http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/combat-gears/headsets/z-tactical-tci-tactical-headset-cable-and-ptt.html
    It's bigger than some ptt boxes, but the button is sunk into the housing and the only way you can hit 'send' is if you intend to do so. It's 'crawling through undergrowth' friendly.

I'll have another look at the cavalry, i didnt like it as i had to order it in, which ive stopped doing, but it did look liek a perfect set up

T4RGET wrote: »
    I'll have another look at the cavalry, i didnt like it as i had to order it in, which ive stopped doing, but it did look liek a perfect set up

Here you go dude:
    http://brayairsoft.com/communications/

No ptt box - but these are the same headsets as on ehobby or redwolf, so it cuts down on the amount of things to order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

This guy on ebay has a great range of headsets at great prices.
    He is a pleasure to deal with.

http://stores.ebay.ie/Rocket-Radio-Letchworth?_rdc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

I know waht you mean about the VOX bt its great if your sniping not if your a rusher ut to each their own I would normaly use PTT ws just pointing out the vox bit. and like Inari said sometimes headsets might not work for alot of loasouts as i too also wear a mesh full mask that covers the ears

Advertisement