Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition year interview not successful

Options
  • 30-04-2012 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

My son age 14 (B.day in June) expected to do Transition year 2012 - 2013. He was not successful at the interview and same at the "appeal interview" He is below average at doing homework and this is reflected in any exams throughout the year, although is is always described as pleasant and cooperative in class. The letter we received from the college states that there is a limited number of places primarily due to Department of Education & Skills cutbacks in teacher resources. As far as I am aware he is the only member of his tutor group not offered a place, how much "Teacher Resource would one extra student on TY use up? Without the "Transition Year" experience the would start 4th. year in September and would have completed his "Leaving Cert" at age 16, I think this is too young! Any suggestions?
    quote.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

velosolex wrote: »
    My son age 14 (B.day in June) expected to do Transition year 2012 - 2013. He was not successful at the interview and same at the "appeal interview" He is below average at doing homework and this is reflected in any exams throughout the year, although is is always described as pleasant and cooperative in class. The letter we received from the college states that there is a limited number of places primarily due to Department of Education & Skills cutbacks in teacher resources. As far as I am aware he is the only member of his tutor group not offered a place, how much "Teacher Resource would one extra student on TY use up? Without the "Transition Year" experience the would start 4th. year in September and would have completed his "Leaving Cert" at age 16, I think this is too young! Any suggestions?
    quote.gif

16 is very young to do a Leaving. Are you sure your son did the interview to the best of his ability? Are you sure he really want to do it? Could you ring the coordinator and discuss your issues? Maybe he could go top of the waiting list in the hope the somebody drops out or moves school? It really isn't as simple as adding an extra student to the class. The numbers are based on practical subjects and practical arrangements for supervision of out of school activities. The numbers are there for a reason. Would you consider moving school if there was no option for your son to do TY in his current school?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭velosolex

Vamos! I assume that he done the interview to the best of his ability and he dose want to do TY. We have been in contact with the coordinator to no avail, but your suggestion to consider him in the event of a student dropping out or moving school is one to contact the coordinator with. I did consider him repeating 3rd. year something he dose not want to do, or repeating 4th. (5th.) year, I have not discussed this with the college. Other alternatives are to move school but is he likely to get into transition year there next Sept.? A private school for next year crossed my mind also and either to stay on there to complete his Leaving Cert or return to the existing college for Sept. 2013. Lastly perhaps a Transition Year alternative abroad perhaps in Spain as he is studying the language. This situation may look trivial but I am worried that he is not mature enough to sit his Leaving Cert in two years time! Your and others comments welcome.

Advertisement