Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I Learned...

Options
  • 30-04-2012 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

(Title stolen from Reddit.com.)

I feel this forum needs "generic discussion thread" for people to post anything that may not be deserving of an entire thread; even if only for my own ramblings.

Today I learned that Katakana can be confusing that Hiragana, e.g. ソン, シツ and マム. It is interesting to track the relationship between some of the kana:
    ウワフスヌタクケテチ.

Update: For what it's worth; I've now "done" all of the Katakana.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I learned that I have a serious amount of study to do before my exam in 2 weeks WAAAAAAH ;_;

>_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I've learned that it's almost impossible to get unsalted, unroasted nuts in Japan. Or at least in Kanazawa......

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

I learned that 「四」「七」「九」 change their pronunciation depending on their mood...

I also have a *lot* of Kanji work to do to catch up to this guy: 100,000 Kanji !!!

I learned that numerals are *not* straight forward. :\

百=ひゃく
    二百=にひゃく
    三百=さんゃく

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

It's really only the 3, 6 and 8 that you have to worry about, and once you start regularly saying/reading them, you'll find that they ain't so bad! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

i learned people in osaka say ookini to mean thank you.

I learned where Osaka is!

In light of the "AJATT" mantra, homepage is now google.co.jp (Very useful for that Katakana!)

ALERT: Nazi Germany invades central Japan! Poised for strike against Tokyo!!!

http://imgur.com/67OJA

Today I learned... how to find Buddhist temples on a map. ^^

Learning points:

1. Dropbox is one of the most useful services I've ever used. Can't recommend it highly enough!

2. Backup your HDD regularly!!!!! (See point #1)

3. Following a HDD failure (see points #1 and #2), I've decided to take the plunge and install Windows 7 in 日本語 mode! I'm relatively tech-savvy and can navigate the OS without difficulty anyway. However, I have realised that...

4. 英語+カタカナ=日本語

Can you guess the following Win7 terms:

スタート
    ドキュメント
    シャットダウン
    すべてのプログラム

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Here are some phrases you will learn just by taking the subway every morning and evening:

ドアが閉まります doa ga shimarimasu - the doors are about to close;
    ご注意ください go-chuui kudasai - please take care;
    この電車は中百舌鳥行きです kono densha wa nakamozu-yuki desu - this train is going to Nakamozu*;
    ご乗車ありがとうございました go-jousha arigatou gozaima****a - thank you for taking the train.

Not sure how useful they will be in everyday conversation!

(*And yes, Nakamozu really is written like that!)

[edited to add: Hey, that's funny, I wrote ありがとうございました in Roman letters and the message board software censored the "offending" letters! Let's see:
    dou itashima****e
    ****a ni mairimasu
    denki wo ke****e kudasai]

• Advertisement

Today I learned... わかる! (And how to remember positive/negative forms of some verbs ^.^)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgyh-5EQHjg

Also, I'm *really* liking www.memrise.com for just learning vocab in general. Even just 20 words a day is easy; and fun!

Gotta love mnemonic memory!

Advertisement