Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for cadetship question.

Options
  • 29-04-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

I am trying to fill out the form for the cadetship competition and there is a space where it asks you if you are sitting the leaving cert in 2012(which I am) and then a few lines down it asks for my leaving cert results( you cant skip it because it says required and it wont let me submit my application without writing something in) but I dont have any results yet?? Anyone know what to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ThatGuy93

I am trying to fill out the form for the cadetship competition and there is a space where it asks you if you are sitting the leaving cert in 2012(which I am) and then a few lines down it asks for my leaving cert results( you cant skip it because it says required and it wont let me submit my application without writing something in) but I dont have any results yet?? Anyone know what to do?

I just gave my predicted grades but thinking back it would have been best to just give the subjects and subject levels you are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

ThatGuy93 wrote: »

I just gave my predicted grades but thinking back it would have been best to just give the subjects and subject levels you are doing
    ****e, I just said have not sat it as of yet:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Cognitive Cascade

I am afraid you are wasting your time, you will be better off applying next year when you actually know if your results meet the criteria.

Also, it is extremely unlikely that they will take on someone fresh out of secondary school for a huge number of reasons, unless of course they are a son/daughter of an influential high ranking officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

CC, that is totally untrue. They have always taken a proportion of direct school-leavers.Always have, always will, even if there is an excess of degree holders out there.Possession of a degree is no guarantee of suitability for the job.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

I am afraid you are wasting your time, you will be better off applying next year when you actually know if your results meet the criteria.

Also, it is extremely unlikely that they will take on someone fresh out of secondary school for a huge number of reasons, unless of course they are a son/daughter of an influential high ranking officer.
    If your not in you can't win! That is the attitude a future officer has;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I know a few lads that got it straight out of school though they were all the sons of serving officers - coincidence surely ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Delancey wrote: »
    I know a few lads that got it straight out of school though they were all the sons of serving officers - coincidence surely ? :rolleyes:

I know more sons (EDIT: and daughters) of Army officers than I can count on my two hands that didn't get into the cadets.

A huge amount of people with military backgrounds go for cadetships. Its obvious that a lot of people with military backgrounds then get cadetships.

I'm not going to try and argue with or against you. I don't know enough about it to do so. But I know far too many people with VERY high military connections that didn't get past interview stage of cadetship competitions, multiple times, after lots of preparation, to believe that nepatism has a hold on the cadetship competitions.

I know more sons of Army officers than I can count on my two hands that didn't get into the cadets.

A huge amount of people with military backgrounds go for cadetships. Its obvious that a lot of people with military backgrounds then get cadetships.

I'm not going to try and argue with or against you. I don't know enough about it to do so. But I know far too many people with VERY high military connections that didn't get past interview stage of cadetship competitions, multiple times, after lots of preparation, to believe that nepatism has a large hold on the cadetship competitions anymore.

Not being a smart ass when I say it is genuinely gratifying to read that , I do remember when it was virtually impossible to get in without nepotism and pull . I am heartened to hear it has finally changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

In the last 5 years I have known at least one cadet in each class. None have been sons or daughters of serving or retired officers. All however have been former members of the RDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Of the school leavers in the last few years, I can't recall any that have family serving. As I see it, going in as a Degree Holder + RDF seems to help the odds of getting in, though suitable school leavers will also be taken. The most recently commissioned class had a serious number of RDF heads in it.

As I said on another thread about 10% seems to be the number of those who have military connections - and that includes the sons and daughters of O/R's, who in turn are about 1/3 of those of family connections. Check it on the flickr page - most of the military families are going to be snapped and put in an cosantoir for the next months issue.

Ie You might have 2 or 3 from a military background in a class of 20-30, of whom one is probably going to have a mum (most likely dad) dad in the ranks, probably an NCO who won't be on the interview board!

Number of those with previous service seems to vary from year to year - some years have none, whilst others have almost 10% of those commissioned come through the ranks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

I think its fair to say that the reputation that the Army cadetship competitions has for nepatism, whether they were once true or not (I dont know) are definitely not true now. I would say, if your'e good enough you'll get it, but the case is, if your'e good enough you'll get to the last 100 or so. Its up to you to shine from there. Who your daddy is makes no odds.

Well it would certainly seem to be the case that nepotism has been reduced but the perception would remain that pull is still a big plus for applicants.
    Unfortunately the reputation was not undeserved and it will take a long time to convice everyone that it is a level playing field.

It is good to hear that having a Daddy a Lt. Col is no longer a guarantee - my knowledge of the competition is from close on 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

my knowledge of the competition is from close on 20 years ago.

Your experience is older than some of the candidates applying. I think its unfair to be making smart comments about nepotism about an experience about a competition back in the day as per the other thread "canvasing will disqualify smiley insert comment here"

- Rightly or wrongly some people will read and believe everything they believe on t'internet and think the odds are stacked against them from the word go and say "is even worth my time?" thus potentially putting good candidates off applying and potentially going elsewhere.

The system is certainly not perfect - there are candidates who applied multiple times and didn't get in, who eventually made it and then became good cadets and good officers....

Advertisement