Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paulie Malinaggi

Options
  • 29-04-2012 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭

WBA Welterweight Champion of the World.

Sorry but had to post this as it makes me happy, i find Paulie hilarious. Great performance today to do it, he won by a stoppage!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

He was tweeting inbetween rounds! Always liked Paulie, delighted for him that was a very good performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Kell Brook anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,016 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Paulie a WBA WW world champion. Sad day for boxing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

walshb wrote: »

Why?

He is a very skilled Boxer and if it was not for his feather fist's then he would be amazing, Just a couple of years ago he was the next big thing and nobody questioned it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Why?

He is a very skilled Boxer and if it was not for his feather fist's then he would be amazing, Just a couple of years ago he was the next big thing and nobody questioned it.

C'mon, not wanting to turn this into a today vs. yesterday debate, but this guy sucks. He was never ever that good. WBA WW world champion. I mean, he's really at best a 140 lber, average one too, and now he's a WBA WW.

Very skilled at what? I just cannot see anything from the guy to say he's could have been amazing. Not just his feather fists.

You must rate Khan and Hatton as ring legends if this guy is that impressive.

He's a really average to good fighter. Matthew Hatton I'd back to beat him, and that is why it's sad.

And, I don't recall him being the next great thing at all. Not to me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Surely you're not getting defensive about world title prestige now? Paulie is the champ because he fought for the title and won it. So in that respect, he's earned it. I say fair play to the guy - his career has had it's fair share of ups and downs, and he's come back to revive it despite all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

dlofnep wrote: »
    Surely you're not getting defensive about world title prestige now? Paulie is the champ because he fought for the title and won it. So in that respect, he's earned it. I say fair play to the guy - his career has had it's fair share of ups and downs, and he's come back to revive it despite all that.

I am simply saying that Paulie being recognised as a WBA WW champion to me says that the division must stink if he is the best in the world, or labeled a world champion. Same way if Matthew Hatton was WBA WW world champion. But, the term world champion in boxing has never been worth much in recent years. It's a shame. I love the sport, but it irks me that it is the way it is.

C'mon, not wanting to turn this into a today vs. yesterday debate, but this guy sucks. He was never ever that good. WBA WW world champion. I mean, he's really at best a 140 lber, average one too, and now he's a WBA WW.

Very skilled at what? I just cannot see anything from the guy to say he's could have been amazing. Not just his feather fists.

You must rate Khan and Hatton as ring legends if this guy is that impressive.

He's a really average to good fighter. Matthew Hatton I'd back to beat him, and that is why it's sad.

And, I don't recall him being the next great thing at all. Not to me anyway.

His speed and technique are very good-he has good feet and good head movement-Skill wise he is far ahead of Khan-Khan has good power though so a better fighter I'd say-if both had even power Paulie would be too skillfull for him, You don't want to bring past into it but question him been champion when historically there have been far worse and far less deserving champions over the years.

His speed and technique are very good-he has good feet and good head movement-Skill wise he is far ahead of Khan-Khan has good power though so a better fighter I'd say-if both had even power Paulie would be too skillfull for him, You don't want to bring past into it but question him been champion when historically there have been far worse and far less deserving champions over the years.

Khan and Hatton obliterated him, a few years ago too. I don't think Khan is the most complete fighter, but he's better than Paulie, and whupped him too. And as skillful too. Even up the power and how does Paulie suddenly beat him? Pauile had nothing to offer when they met. Not fast enough, cute enough, offensive enough. Pea Whitaker hadn't got great hands, but I think he takes Khan apart. They guy had real silky skills. Paulie is a poser at best in comparison.

Paulie has nice feet and balance and decent speed. He just has little else.

Anyway, whatever he has, to be a WW World champion at this stage of his very ordinary career to me is just sad. It really is. He is not world champion matereial, but as I said, that term is just that, a TERM!

• Advertisement

Anyway, whatever he has, to be a WW World champion at this stage of his very ordinary career to me is just sad. It really is. He is not world champion matereial, but as I said, that term is just that, a TERM!

This goes around and around and is stupid-There has always been terrible champions-since day 1 of Boxing, it is not a new phenomenon and it is irritating that some people on here persist that it is, With that said Paulie is not a terrible champ anyway.

Hatton and Khan where suited to fighting a feather fisted Paulie, with Power he would be a serious Boxer, Not just good, His skills won him the title and thats all there is to it.

This goes around and around and is stupid-There has always been terrible champions-since day 1 of Boxing, it is not a new phenomenon and it is irritating that some people on here persist that it is, With that said Paulie is not a terrible champ anyway.

Hatton and Khan where suited to fighting a feather fisted Paulie, with Power he would be a serious Boxer, Not just good, His skills won him the title and thats all there is to it.

Nothing to do with eras. To me him being a WW World champion in any time is a sad reflection on the sport. Surely on planet earth we can garner a few men at 147 lbs that would be too good for feather fisted 140 lb Paulie? I am aware in any era there was poor world champs. Paul today is a perfect example.

Nothing to do with eras. To me him being a WW World champion in any time is a sad reflection on the sport. Surely on planet earth we can garner a few men at 147 lbs that would be too good for feather fisted 140 lb Paulie? I am aware in any era there was poor world champs. Paul today is a perfect example.

No Bren, Their has been champs that have no skill and just got lucky or never deserved a shot-As i said Paulie is a good boxer, his only downside is his lack of power

He stopped a 32 fight unbeaten fighter who was european champ also, and has 4 wins at the weight now so not straight up and given shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Surely it's worse the fact that Senchenko was the champ before that, a guy who was undefeated hiding in his own Country. Paulie destroyed him.
    I'd imagine the other Welterweights are kicking themselves that they never travelled to fight him.

I've always enjoyed watching Paulie, he's pretty skillful and he's as brave as they come....the fight with Cotto springs to mind!

Boooourns wrote: »
    Surely it's worse the fact that Senchenko was the champ before that, a guy who was undefeated hiding in his own Country. Paulie destroyed him.
    I'd imagine the other Welterweights are kicking themselves that they never travelled to fight him.

I've always enjoyed watching Paulie, he's pretty skillful and he's as brave as they come....the fight with Cotto springs to mind!

YES, I did mean to add this. Who got badly beaten by Paulie? This guy was the champ. And to win the title, I think, he beat a man that lost to Matthew Hatton.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Boooourns wrote: »

In Senchenko's 4 title fights not one of his opponents were rated in Boxrec's top 40, with two of them being rated outside the worlds top 100.
    I know boxrecs ratings can be ridiculous but still the WBA have been a disgrace in sanctioning them.

Kell Brook vs Paulie would be a good fight and bound to be a good moneyspinner for both fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Be a good fight for Kell, Paulie like the boys mentioned is pretty skillful but he's as weak as water. He's not troubling anyone of worth.

I'd rate Khan a fair bit higher than the likes of Paulie...

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

I'm yet to be fully convinced by Brook but he would beat Paulie quite easily. I fancied Paulie to outbox Hatton and even thought he might beat Khan. Brooks technically better than both and hits harder to boot. Late stoppage for Kell in this one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

Hey fair play to Paulie. Aside from the fact that there's too many belts and titles of each belt (interim, super, diamond) he went to the Ukraine and got the victory. I took a liking to the guy after the balls he showed to take the punishment in the Cotto fight. He did himself no favours in the fight he had in man city's ground with the hair going everywhere but gotta admire this victory.

Special K would beat him. Has just as fast hands and I think wud hit harder. Can't see it happening cos they're tiring to line up Devon Alexander Paulie (both golden boy)

Advertisement