Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DFB taking on EMTs?

Options
  • 29-04-2012 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I heard a rumour that the DFB were taking on EMTs in the near future. I literally have no more info than that.
    Anybody else heard any info/rumours/gossip?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭echo.lima

That doesn't sound legitimate at all, Why would they need to take on EMT's unless they plan on getting into patient transfers, which I seriously doubt is likely.

The DFB are unique as 95% of there staff are paramedics an therefore they do not need to bridge a "care gap" unlike other fire services around the world eg the FDNY where all operational firefighters are first responders and the department has an EMS service of EMT'S and Paramedics.

So it doesn't really make sense, Even if they where to become involved with patient transfers most of the operational staff are paramedics as well so they could easily provide intermediate care for transfers.

That aside they don't have enough ambulances to start doing transfers without compromising emergency medical cover around the city and the likelyhood of the DFB buying enough ambulances to actually start providing transfer services is slim in the current economic climate. They could barely afford to keep the Swords ambulance running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Thepredator

Absolutely no chance of that happening. Sure where would they get the money from for a start?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭emtally

thought as much....like i said only another rumour...
    it'd be nice tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭flazio

But in places like the UK you do get mixed paramedic and EMT crews attending emergencies so perhaps DFB might try it some day?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭echo.lima

flazio wrote: »
    But in places like the UK you do get mixed paramedic and EMT crews attending emergencies so perhaps DFB might try it some day?

Why would they do that? when all of the operational staff are firefighter/paramedics? when a standard class b water tender is deployed in Dublin to an incident in addition to any Ambulances that are crewed by two paramedics, on board said tender you have 6 more paramedics so the DFB's use for EMT'S in non existant bar patient transfers and the National Ambulance service and private ambulance services have the monopoly on that. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

flazio wrote: »

But all their crews are Paramedics? Why would they employ more people at a lower skill level?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm just throwing a theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

emtally wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that the DFB were taking on EMTs in the near future. I literally have no more info than that.

It appears you've stepped on a couple of toes here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭emtally

DustyMan wrote: »

It appears you've stepped on a couple of toes here. ;)
    Indeed....dunno if its from this forum but the rumour wont go away...hmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Indeed....dunno if its from this forum but the rumour wont go away...hmmm....

Well just to come back to it, someone has mentioned to me. A friend (who's in DFB) of a friend mentioned it to me. Still rumors and baffling as to why they would hire an EMT (and thats coming from an EMT) but still perhaps there is some grounds to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 DFBLT

You "friend of a friend" is talking rubbish. DFB wont be recruiting anyone for a long time, sure they just scrapped a panel.

Advertisement