Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WMA/HEMA

Options
  • 29-04-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any Western Martial Arts/ Historical European Martial Arts clubs or societies in Ireland. I've had a keen interest in the period for years but only recently found out that the longsword suchlike are practiced as marital arts.

In light of that I've been trying to hunt down clubs in Ireland for a few days now but my searches have been fruitless, I'd love if someone could point me in the right direction!

Any and all info is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Also, I'm sorry if this is in the completely wrong place, it's been quite a while since I've used boards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sounds like a thread for Bambi?.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Not me man, not into the whole recreation idea. These guys do WMA I think :

http://www.nafiannafinn.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Bambi wrote: »
    Not me man, not into the whole recreation idea. These guys do WMA I think :

http://www.nafiannafinn.com/

Cheers, thought I'd remembered you posting up something similar.

Not to worry, you're always helpful here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

I know in Dublin, the Society for Creative Anachronism runs classes in historical fencing, so that could be worth checking out : ) I trained with them before and it was quite fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

I'm a long term member of na fianna finn combat academy, Guro Jon teaches longsword of leicenhaur and di fores (excuse spelling). Regular classes starting very soon. For contact details and more info, check out the site bambi put up (cheers bambi) www.nafiannafinn.com
    kathleen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

http://www.loughdevnaree.org/Dublin/combat.htm

Above is a group running on the Northside which reconstructs Italian longsword and also rapier. The longsword stuff is derived from Fiore Di Liberi's Flos Duellatorum, the rapier from Nicoletto Giganti's text.

I made it down a few times and was pretty impressed by their instructor. He puts in the legwork going abroad to various HEMA/WMA camps and seminars - comes across in his knowledge of the material.

I'm nearly sure there's an SCA connection (based on the fact that they are a page hosted on an Irish SCA site if nothing else) but the HEMA material appeared to be trained more or less entirely seperately from the SCA angle - some of the people there were involved in both, but not everyone was.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Thanks for the info everyone! And here I was thinking it was a lost cause :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

You could also check our Dr Alan Peatfield in UCD (classics dept from memory). He used to teach some western weapons and is certainly knowledgeable on the subject, I'd guess if he doesn't teach himself any more he could point you to someone who does.

Advertisement