Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrified of getting a 2.2

Options
  • 29-04-2012 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey everyone...

There is an old thread on here about 2.2's vs 2.1's but I feel like I need to start my own one.
    I'm about to do my exams next week and I keep having panic attacks about getting a 2.2.
    I have always been a good student but I feel that I am going to lose it this year even if is just by a few percent.
    My mum and boyfriend keep telling me i'm crazy but I really believe its going to happen and i'm devastated about its consequences.

I think its really unfair that people classify you as lazy or a party animal if you get a 2.2... I am neither of those things and I bet plenty of other 2.2 achiever's aren't either but its an unfortunate outcome that can happen, even if you are really smart and work hard throughout your degree.

I just wonder if there is anybody out there who has experience in all of this and thinks it isn't the end of the world. I'm so ambitious and I want to do something great with my life but I don't want to face a glass ceiling just because of a few exams.

I want to do a masters but I fear a 2.2 won't be good enough to get in to the one I want, and even after a Masters will my BA always haunt me?

If you have any advice I would love to hear from you...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Hey there vanillapod :)

The first thing you do is you need to calm down! Just focus on one day at a time from now until the exams, keep up with the study you're doing, take some breaks, and you will be okay. Don't stress yourself out over the marks, just go in and do your best.

I know quite a few people who are doing/finished MAs right now that got 2.2s, so don't worry about not getting into one! A huge part of applying for postgrads is your personal statement, so if you're really passionate about studying the subject that will come across in it. I got a 2.2 as well and I'm doing a postgrad now (a higher diploma though as opposed to a masters).

At the end of the day, they are just exams and they do not reflect your worth as a person. People can know everything about the course and just have a bad day on the exam. But you know what, I'm sure you will do great! There's always repeats as well if you're not happy with your grade. I don't know what college you're in, but in NUIM you can repeat up to 15 credits worth of modules for a better grade in final year with no consequence (i.e. you don't lose the honours status). Maybe find out if it's the same situation where you are?

Good luck!

vanillapod wrote: »

If you have any advice I would love to hear from you...

Chill out as best you can, do the exams, see what happens :)
    Deal with a 2.2 if you get one, cross every bridge as it comes and all that, your first bridge is to chill out and concentrate on the exams rather than the results :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭eirn

First of all, best of luck with your exams.
    It is a big deal, and it is natural to be anxious. Nerves at this stage are not a bad thing; it's just a sign that you are taking things seriously. Also, you still have time to study and prepare!
    There are many routes into further study now. Make sure you explore all of the options available to you.

It's kind of like the leaving cert. At the time it's desperately important, and you feel as if your life literally revolves around the results. Within a few years, most people would be hard pushed to tell you what grades they recieved in each subject. Life goes on.

By the way, I got a 2.2, then a first in my masters, a grad dip, and I'm on the home stretch of my PhD. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vanillapod

Thanks guys, that is some great advice. I have really calmed down now...(although i'm now not worried at all which is worrying me)..I'm going to just do my best hopefully.
    I really needed to hear that people with 2.2's can become successful...thank you so much for the reassurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Monkey09

I'm in the same situation as you OP. I'm in final year and I'm preparing to sit my last set of exams next week. I have my heart set on getting a 2.1 and I have literally driven myself (and my family) mad over the last year stressing out about it. I even started a thread here a few months back on this very issue and got negative replies about the value of a 2.2.

Like you, it makes me sick to hear people saying that a 2.2 is rubbish and that there's no hope. It makes no sense to me that someone who gets a 60% average can do anything they want whereas someone who gets a 58% average is considered to be stupid/lazy.

I consider myself a good student and I work very hard. However, I have sometimes gotten one or two results which have let me down. I'm right on the boderline at the moment having received a 58% average in Semester 1 but I'm hoping this semester might bring me up! :)

After months of driving myself insane I have finally resigned myself to the fact that a 2.2 is not the end of the world. I have recently heard of so many people who received 2.2's and are more successful than people who get 2.1's/1sts. I have decided to accept what ever it is that I get. I can say honestly that I have done my best and there was nothing more I could have done so what will be will be!

I would also like to thank the people who have replied to this thread with their successes after receiving a 2.2 - I wish we could hear stories like yours more often!

Anyway, best of luck OP. I really hope everything works out for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I detest a 2.1 even though it seems i might get it.
    But on the other hand there ways of making a degree look better e.g doing your masters.

you can repeat up to 3 exams which you passed bvut scored crap grades e.g 41 -55 where you think you can get a major improvement, e.g 40 - 70.

I plan on sitting 3 next year with the hope of getting a minimum 75% in average.

why put a 2.2 down when you can put down Masters acquired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I received a 2.2 in my degree in Business studies and German (economics and finance major), I just finished an internship over in Frankfurt. But i'm finding no one will even consider me for jobs in Banking back in Ireland because of the 2.2

Did anyone else ever have this experience.

I'm starting to feel that my only option is to do a masters (if i can get into one) and then hopefully once I finish that, a recruiter would care much more about the masters than the undergrad. Does anyone have any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vanillapod

Hi 1huge1!

First of all congrats on making it through German...I admire anyone who gets through a language degree, its seriously tough.
    What I will say in terms of the job market is that I have friends who have 2.1's and firsts who find it really tough too! The market is just slammed right now, try not to take it too personally. :/
    I know there is definitely some discrimination with the 2.2/2.1 mark and personally I think its really unfair that they only show the grade and not the percentage.
    I have a close friend who received a 2.2 in his Bachelor who went on to do a masters and then achieved a first. Intelligence is not crudely based on one performance alone.
    These days I think a masters is so beneficial to have and from looking at courses I know that there are many places that accept a 2.2, provided you write a kick ass application letter. The most valuable advice anyone ever gave me was that all professors adore their own subject matter and anyone who flatters them and states that they want to continue on to conduct similar research will be looked upon favorably! Just do a masters that you love and you think you would be good at. (not one just to get a job)
    I know that employers value work experience above all else so maybe try and get that too in any shape or form. Use your contacts and getting your foot in the door somewhere will help you overcome any barriers faced by the 2.2. When my sister graduated she found her job by volunteering for a charity and the boss recommended her to a friend. Contacts can pop up anywhere but meeting new people is key.
    Best of luck to you :)

Advertisement