Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grant for masters

Options
  • 29-04-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hey,

My sister is hoping to start her masters in geneology in Sept but will need the grant to do it.

She lives at home with my mother (retired nurse), she's 26 and is working part time and getting half dole, but only since Aug 2011. She has never received the grant before.

I just want to see if ye would think she would be eligible. cause we've asked the VEC and they just say apply and see...

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

To be honest it could be a bit of a longshot. The grant for post grad students was cut back quite a lot in the budget. Citizens information website has some info on it:
    A maintenance grant is a contribution towards the student’s living costs. Students who started or are starting courses from the academic year 2010-2011 onward do not qualify for a maintenance grant if they are on a Back to Education Allowance or VTOS allowance.

Postgraduate students: No maintenance grants will be paid for new entrants on postgraduate courses from the 2012-13 academic year. Fee grants (described below) will continue to be paid for those postgraduate students who would previously have qualified for the special rate of grant (see 'Special rates of grants for disadvantaged students' below).

In addition, based on their means, a further 4,000 postgraduate students will get a €2,000 fee contribution grant. The income threshold for this payment (which will be lower than the standard grant threshold) has not yet been determined.

You can also contact the new overall grant awarding agency Student Universal Support Ireland: http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9540/new-grant-applications-for-2012-13/index.html

Hope this helps

Advertisement