Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wren's Nest (was - help identify nest?)

Options
  • 28-04-2012 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,
    Found a spherical (but a bit elongated) mossy nest low in an evergreen bush, hole entrance at the front with some hay peering out. Found an eggshell under it - small and white with only a few very light rust coloured speckles. I'm thinking it's a wren's nest but not sure. Have taken a pic, can upload tomorrow if nec.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Sinead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Wrens lay white eggs which can be specked, and your description of the nest sounds right for a wren.

Best thing you can do is keep your distance in case there are young in the nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

yeah probably a wren. They usually have a front door step made of tiny twigs

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sineadom

Watched it from the safety of the car the other day - it's a wren's nest alright, parents in and out constantly, feeding chicks.:) The car was parked on the concrete right by it but they didnt pay any heed to me sitting inside - near impossible to get pics with my camera tho - they're just too darn quick! :)

Advertisement